Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Murray Info needed
I just bought a Murray road bike (Pro Circuit). I know Murrays were usually cheap and inferior, but this bike is in almost new condition. I have been trying to find when it was built, but have been able to find nothing at all, not even a mention. The Wald front hub has a date code of 1987. Can anyone tell me how to find this info. Thanks for all your help.
(04-13-2010, 07:32 PM)llllwrightllll Wrote:  I just bought a Murray road bike (Pro Circuit). I know Murrays were usually cheap and inferior, but this bike is in almost new condition. I have been trying to find when it was built, but have been able to find nothing at all, not even a mention. The Wald front hub has a date code of 1987. Can anyone tell me how to find this info. Thanks for all your help.

Wow I remember those! I will try to find something on them later today. (Just trying to catch up on reading.) They were ok bikes I do believe a friend of mine had one. Again I'll see if I can find anything. Maybe someone else has some more information quicker. Nice find you have a picture?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-14-2010, 11:41 AM)Bill Wrote:  
(04-13-2010, 07:32 PM)llllwrightllll Wrote:  I just bought a Murray road bike (Pro Circuit). I know Murrays were usually cheap and inferior, but this bike is in almost new condition. I have been trying to find when it was built, but have been able to find nothing at all, not even a mention. The Wald front hub has a date code of 1987. Can anyone tell me how to find this info. Thanks for all your help.

Wow I remember those! I will try to find something on them later today. (Just trying to catch up on reading.) They were ok bikes I do believe a friend of mine had one. Again I'll see if I can find anything. Maybe someone else has some more information quicker. Nice find you have a picture?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here are two links you will find useful for finding out about vintage bikes.

Where is this Murray made? I found a USA one in Salvation Army for my wife for $40. Greased wheels and crank and it works great.She likes one speed coaster pedal brake bikes, oh well.

http://www.nostalgic.net/search/Murray.htm

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
Never Give Up!!!
You can find the company history here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_(bicycles)
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Thank you all for the help. If you can find any more about this bike, please let me know. I just rinsed off the dust, cleaned and lubed all bearings and shafts, and rode it. No adjustments other than the seat height. It does need handlebar tape replaced, but what can I say, for 15 bucks? I'll get a photo on here just as soon as I can figure out how to resize the pix.
(04-14-2010, 05:55 PM)llllwrightllll Wrote:  

Here are the photos! I think, anyway. after many failed attempts at resizing my photos.
Thank you all for the help. If you can find any more about this bike, please let me know. I just rinsed off the dust, cleaned and lubed all bearings and shafts, and rode it. No adjustments other than the seat height. It does need handlebar tape replaced, but what can I say, for 15 bucks? I'll get a photo on here just as soon as I can figure out how to resize the pix.
Very nice! Just keep it well maintained and it will treat you right! Easy way to find more info is to use google search word "murray bicycle" . There are quite a few links with valid info. Hope this helps Smile .
Thanks, Bill. I have tried googling every conceivable form of the words, but to no avail. I'm beginning to wonder if this bicycle even existed other than in my imagination. Nothing anywhere. Thanks guys. I have really been enjoying this website. I learn something everytime I come here.
(04-14-2010, 06:15 PM)llllwrightllll Wrote:  
(04-14-2010, 05:55 PM)llllwrightllll Wrote:  

Here are the photos! I think, anyway. after many failed attempts at resizing my photos.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Bike cant beat the price. Enjoy
Never Give Up!!!
I was looking at the pictures , again excellent shape, and was thinking about the number. Maybe it means M - Model /076 - the number of bike /86 - 1986 /12 - December ?
(04-14-2010, 11:19 PM)Bill Wrote:  I was looking at the pictures , again excellent shape, and was thinking about the number. Maybe it means M - Model /076 - the number of bike /86 - 1986 /12 - December ?

That is about what I was thinking as well, along the '86 idea. If you look real close you can see a "2" between the "76" and the "86", even though both "2"s look like the stamp may have been worn.
Thanks, once again , for all the excellent help.
I have an mid 90's Murray Contour cruiser that I'm working on putting back on the street for my gal and am having the same difficulty finding out anything about it. The serial number on the bottom is readable but just barely and I have found no website yet that provides any info for reference to date. The bike has a Sturmey Archer three speed hub with a date of 95 clearly on the housing so that provides some date reference as long as the hub came on the bike originally and I think it did.

I suspect that these Murrays were such a mass produced bike sold by Sears and Western Auto that no one really takes them seriously as a collectible bike and therefore no records about serial numbers and such. I picked mine up for $20 and it looks like it's never been ridden. Paint is perfect, the hub works immaculately, coaster brake is strong and the tires still have the nubs on them although the sidewalls have dry rot checking on them. This is a heavy steel bike (about 31 lbs) but is original and with some TLC will be still running later in the century when it actually might starts being worth something.

If anyone has any knowledge of the Murray Contour bike I would appreciate hearing from you.
Things are getting worse faster than I can lower my standards

Possibly Related Threads...