Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

ID old Gary Fisher?
I bought this old Gary Fisher Tassajara. Can anyone tell me what year it is?
It was advertised as an aluminum frame but printed on the frame is "Butted Cro-Mo tubing BS 6102:1". The bike is very light weight but this cannot be al. can it?
It is 21 speed, grip shift, Shimano STX rear derailer, Weinmann 519 wheels,with a Shimano IG chain.
Sorry, I should have taken the pic from the drive train side.
Thanks,
Old Guy
Nice old bike "old guy." Just a wild guess, I would say around 1990 give or take a year or two. The "Cro-mo" refers to Chrome moly steel and I think I can see some rust on the seat tube. Aluminum won't rust like steel does, it corrodes. If you are checking a bike for sale, take a magnet along and see if it is attracted to steel.

Chro-mo steel is good stuff, better than "high-tensile" steel. I would actually prefer it to aluminum because it is stronger in my opinion. Better for mountain bikes. And it is fairly light weight.

You might check these pages here to see if you can find it and the year.

http://www.mombat.org/Fisher.htm

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
I have a bike with the Cro-Mo sticker showing the Chromium Moly shown here.... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1207.html . Definitely made of good stuff.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks for the Fisher links and comments. I got this bike to renew and have something small and light to take on public transit. I've got it stripped to the frame while I decide how to rebuild.
Hike and bike!
Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving forward. A. Einstein
Wanted to edit my post my sticker says CR-MO. Sorry about that.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Along the same lines, would anyone be able to identify what year this Gary Fisher Wahoo bike is? My friend got it at a bike giveaway, but I inherited it when he moved away, and now we'd like to use it as an office bike, but need to determine the value first. Any help is appreciated.

Gabe

[attachment=5371]
(09-26-2014, 11:14 AM)glewis Wrote:  Along the same lines, would anyone be able to identify what year this Gary Fisher Wahoo bike is? My friend got it at a bike giveaway, but I inherited it when he moved away, and now we'd like to use it as an office bike, but need to determine the value first. Any help is appreciated.

Gabe
hello Gabe,not much pic to work with, looks to be around a 2003 or so. I can pin it down closer and give a better value if you post some clear closeup pics of the shifters, derailleurs, hubs, rims, shock, .shoot the pics with around 600 pixels or so. to be bigger than thumb nail size.
You can go to bikepedia.com and try to pinpoint it there.Those were entry level Mtb's
in good shape should be worth roughly 1/2 of retail, between $150 to $200
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Last Post: JohnV

07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Last Post: mofongo