Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Derailleur Installed and sorta working
Hi,

Well I did it and I am so pleased. I used the old derailleur cable, I wished I used a new one, any way some fine tuning questions.

I watched the video on adjusting your front derailleur and it was helpful.

I have some fine tuning questions:

Here are a few Scenarios:

1st Scenario:

The chain is on the small front sprocket and the gear 1 for the rear and it rubs on the inner rail. Can't seem to get it not to rub. What do I do?

Next Scenario:

The chain is on the middle sprocket and when the gears is on 6 it rubs a bit and when it is in 7 rubs all the time loudly on the outer rail. Can't get it to adjusted.

Last Scenario:

Chain is on Large Sprocket and the rear sprocket is in 7 and the chain rubs a bit on the outer guard. Can't get it to adjust.

Thanks guys my wife thinks I am doing much better than she thought considering my past history with this sort of thing.

Cheers

Tim
Hmmm.

Sounds like two things are going on and seemingly opposite direction.

#1 you need a bit more slack in the cable , but check the stop set first if the cable does have a bit of slack.

#2&3 sounds like the outer stop is set too tight..
PS just noticed that you had a chain removal question on previous post. What finally worked for you??
Never Give Up!!!
Hi,

OK, what is the top set?

The outer stop is the High screw correct?

I had to open the chain up, which I did for the the first time today. Quite pleased that it worked.

Thanks for your help.

Tim
There are two screws on your dérailleur. The inner screw controls the inboard stop, the outer screw controls the outer stop. The final shifting adjustment is done with the cable barrel at the shifter.

Check that your cable moves freely, and the shifter moves.

If your cable is too tight it will not allow the dérailleur to move inboard and hit the screw preset stop. Set the chain on the smallest front and the biggest rear sprocket. Try turning the adjustment barrel at the shifter in wards and see if that helps. If the cable has slack in it than turn out (Counterclockwise) your inner stop screw to allow more movement.

Than set the chain on the outer sprocket and smallest in back and turn out the outer stop screw to allow the dérailleur to move outward more.

Alex has an excellent video on this site. and Parks tools has good info too.

http://bikeride.com/adjust-front-derailer/

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53&imageField2.x=11&imageField2.y=12
Never Give Up!!!
Hi,

I have bought a fourth hand tool and a new cable for the derailleur. I will replace it when it arrives in the post and follow your advice. I am looking forward to learning some more about how this works. Thanks again. I will let you know how it works out.

Cheers

Tim

(04-28-2010, 03:49 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  There are two screws on your dérailleur. The inner screw controls the inboard stop, the outer screw controls the outer stop. The final shifting adjustment is done with the cable barrel at the shifter.

Check that your cable moves freely, and the shifter moves.

If your cable is too tight it will not allow the dérailleur to move inboard and hit the screw preset stop. Set the chain on the smallest front and the biggest rear sprocket. Try turning the adjustment barrel at the shifter in wards and see if that helps. If the cable has slack in it than turn out (Counterclockwise) your inner stop screw to allow more movement.

Than set the chain on the outer sprocket and smallest in back and turn out the outer stop screw to allow the dérailleur to move outward more.

Alex has an excellent video on this site. and Parks tools has good info too.

http://bikeride.com/adjust-front-derailer/

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=53&imageField2.x=11&imageField2.y=12
Ye 10-4 , its a simple learning curve, at first it seems complicated. Good luck.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...