Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Assembly Process
Hey guys,

I am industrial engineer student. I have a question about assembly process of bicycle, our final project topic is bicycle company and we are designing a new factory but i do not know the process of assembly line.
I think you need to be a bit more specific about your question. Order of assembly? Human vs. machine based processes? Factory versus end user? Note also that it depends what you mean by the "factory". Many bike manufacturers are really just buying premade items and assembling. There are very few manufacturers where a large proportion of the bicycle are made and assembled in the same place or by the same company.
(05-10-2010, 03:17 AM)shari Wrote:  Hey guys,

I am industrial engineer student. I have a question about assembly process of bicycle, our final project topic is bicycle company and we are designing a new factory but i do not know the process of assembly line.

I'm willing to help you out. Sent me an e-mail with your contact information.

Terry
@ dave
My question is about the order of assembly in factory, Consider we have all parts and we are not manufacturer. our aim is to assemble a bike, in which order we should assemble a bike.(starting from frame).
@ terry
I sent my contact information to your box

regards
I don't mean this answer to sound too critical, but when I was an engineering student, many years ago, we were expected to use the knowledge we had gained during our coursework and reading up on the subject, the things we had observed on factory visits, and our own intelligence to formulate an answer, not to ask other people to answer the question for us.

Getting guidance, yes, by all means.

We used to write to manufacturers asking for info, they all responded, most had some sort of public handout on their company, may be those days have gone, but it may be worth a try.

Why not try a practical assessment, get an old bike, take it apart and work through the assembly process, it will be roughly the reverse, keep notes and use this as the basis of your answer.