Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Just a few questions
now that i'm in college i have found that i need a bike to get around quicker and easier. i do have a bike that i can use however there is a slight problem. it's been sitting outside for years and the chain is rusted up solid. i was wondering a) how i go about replacing my chain, b) how much it will cost, c) if there were any other parts and pieces i should replace to get the best use out of my old bike, and d) how much those will cost. my old bike is a roadmaster mt fury woman's bike. i think it's a 15 speed. (i know it's a cheap bike, but i have a small budget and have to make it work) the final question: is it worth saving my old bike? thanks in advance for any ideas.
I can answer this one to an extent, because I may have the same one. Is it this one...
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-15-2010, 09:31 PM)Bill Wrote:  I can answer this one to an extent, because I may have the same one. Is it this one...

i think mine is a newer version, but i think it's the same as your's with the exception of paint color and decals.
(05-15-2010, 09:57 PM)cherylangelclb Wrote:  
(05-15-2010, 09:31 PM)Bill Wrote:  I can answer this one to an extent, because I may have the same one. Is it this one...

i think mine is a newer version, but i think it's the same as your's with the exception of paint color and decals.

Ok there are some videos I suggest you watch from Alex that would save you alot of time and money. Start with this one.
http://bikeride.com/tune-up/
Then work your way through the videos. As you go along asked any questions here in the forums.
Or if you want quicker answers take a few photos of your bike and upload them here.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
ok thanks for your help.
(05-15-2010, 09:09 PM)cherylangelclb Wrote:  the final question: is it worth saving my old bike? thanks in advance for any ideas.

If it just needs a new chain then yes it's worth saving.
Get a new chain fitted (if you have to take it to a shop then ask the price first - including fitting?).
Then, about once a month, drip some oil onto the chain to keep it good.

Next spin the wheels to see and hear if they run O.K.
Same goes for pedals.

Last, and most important, check the tires and brakes. Look for cracks and splits in the tires. Make sure the brake blocks contact the rims square and work properly.

You could always ask the bike shop for advice on the condition. They shouldn't charge you for a quick check over.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
If it has been left outside to get rusty, as well as the chain, it's almost certain that all the cables, gear changers and shifters are rusted up and need replacing, once the rust bug has struck, it's very difficult to get things working smoothly again.
Get down to your lbs and get a quote, also they may have a working sh bike and may even allow you something for this, not a lot, though.
I took a look at it today. It's worse than I remembered it being. There is worn paint and rust everywhere. This is way outside of my skill range I'm just going to get another bike. If anyone wants my beat up old bike and is in the NC area I'll give it to you for free. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Thanks y'all for the help.
Ok good luck sorry that it is in worse condition. Sad
In my opinion a bike is almost always worth saving. If you're willing to put in the time to get it running again, it'll give you that time back double in enjoyment. When you're finished with it there will always be someone else who could benefit form a working bike.
Yea Jordan you are correct, I should have said something along those lines. What I should have said is something like post a few pictures and maybe it is not all that bad. Sorry if I sounded negative Sad .

My apologies,
Bill
Ok picture time. I took pictures of the rust and wear that I thought I'd need to fix up or that'd be a problem. Again if you want it and live in NC just ask.
Oh my gash , ye is rusted. While some like to spend hundreds to fix a fifty dollar bike. Unless its a very rare very special with emotional roots it just not worth it. Unless you are bored, or got a donor bike to transfer parts. If you are handy.

Strangely the wheels and the frame look OK. Everything else must go. Do the wheels turn smoothly?Nice chain. :-)

Go to a thrift store and for fifty bucks get a ridable bike. (Got a nice one for my wife for $35 on sale day.) Than look at Alex's videos on this site and service it.

Sorry I got no feelings. :-)))
Never Give Up!!!
(05-18-2010, 08:12 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Oh my gash , ye is rusted. While some like to spend hundreds to fix a fifty dollar bike. Unless its a very rare very special with emotional roots it just not worth it. Unless you are bored, or got a donor bike to transfer parts. If you are handy.

Strangely the wheels and the frame look OK. Everything else must go. Do the wheels turn smoothly?Nice chain. :-)

Go to a thrift store and for fifty bucks get a ridable bike. (Got a nice one for my wife for $35 on sale day.) Than look at Alex's videos on this site and service it.

Sorry I got no feelings. :-)))

the wheel turn smoothly, but yah everything is rusted completely. i'm going to pick up a bike at walmart for $88 and be done with it.
Well where do I start? To be truthful I personally would fix it up, but I have the knowledge and tools to do so. Being that it is summertime what you should do is watch your local newspaper classifieds and yard/garage sales for a decent deal. There has to be some where you can get a nice bike relatively cheap. As George said Thrift stores like Salvation Army, Next-to-new shops, and Auction Sale places (can't think of the proper name). Ahh flea shops!

The frame and wheels actually do look really good. A good wd-40 spray down on the chain then work the stiff links with two pair of pliers and then clean it, oil it with some good oil would free it up! But again I am the type who jumps in to anything like that Big Grin .

Bill
(05-18-2010, 08:34 PM)Bill Wrote:  Well where do I start? To be truthful I personally would fix it up, but I have the knowledge and tools to do so. Being that it is summertime what you should do is watch your local newspaper classifieds and yard/garage sales for a decent deal. There has to be some where you can get a nice bike relatively cheap. As George said Thrift stores like Salvation Army, Next-to-new shops, and Auction Sale places (can't think of the proper name). Ahh flea shops!
The frame and wheels actually do look really good. A good wd-40 spray down on the chain then work the stiff links with two pair of pliers and then clean it, oil it with some good oil would free it up! But again I am the type who jumps in to anything like that Big Grin .

Bill

lol. I'll give that WD40 thing a go tomorrow. Just when I lose hope you make me think it's possible again. Thanks Bill and everyone.
If the other moving parts move then it is possible to bring it back to life. If you are really interested then that will be the first part. While you are waiting for the chain to soak in the wd40 check to see if the wheels still turn freely, the crank moves freely, the handlebars move back and forth, and squeeze the brake levers and calipers to see if they move freely. Also see if the seat post will come completely out of the tube. As I said if you are REALLY intersted I can guide you through this and make it look pretty decent. So those are your assignments for tomorrow. Let me know your progress here.

List:
1. Spray down the chain with WD40
2. Check wheels to see if they move freely
3. Check crank to see if it moves freely
4. Check handlebars (steering) to see if it moves back and forth.
5. Squeeze the brake levers and calipers to see if they move freely.
6. Attempt to remove the seat and seat post fro its tube.
7. Spray chain again with WD40.
8. Check back here with progress .
Man Bill have I got a barn find for you. Some even followed me home, once.I am so over barn finds.

Just out of curiosity I googled this bike its $65 at Walmart. No mater how much work you do on it it will still be a rat.

You want to play or you want to ride?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Womens-Roadmaster-Mountain-Sport-Bike/882816
Never Give Up!!!
(05-19-2010, 02:19 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Man Bill have I got a barn find for you. Some even followed me home, once.I am so over barn finds.

Just out of curiosity I googled this bike its $65 at Walmart. No mater how much work you do on it it will still be a rat.

You want to play or you want to ride?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Womens-Roadmaster-Mountain-Sport-Bike/882816

It may be a rat but it's my rat. if i can save it and save money then i'm going to. all i need is transport from point A to point B nothing fancy and nothing pretty, though it'd be nice. i know that i will most likely end up having to get another bike but i might as well waste some of my "sitting around bored of my mind" time on this fruitless project.
George,
I understand your point about the $65.00 new bike. As I thought this is not only a ride but it is also a learning process of something she is going to have to know in the future anyways. As far as rat, lol look at the Next PowerClimber I brought back. Now that if anything would have definitely been a lost cause to anyone else lol. Granted this one is in bad shape but still can be fixed. The Mt. Fury I have pictured is one that I had to spend like 4hrs on and rides smoother then this old Giant I serviced for a kid. This bike is an awesome learning experience because of its state of condition. As long as the moving parts still work then its all good. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: mtb10

12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Last Post: cny-man

12-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF