Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Total newbie question
Hello everyone,

So at the risk of showing myself to be a total bike nerd, I really have to ask this question:

When I coast my bike, the rear derallieur makes ticking sound (which is one of my favorite sounds ever)(see, I told you I could be a nerd), but my friend's bike doesn't. Why is that?

Thanks!
Depends on the make of the hub.
Shimano tend to be quiet whereas Campagnolo really tick. My Mavic can be heard 3 streets away. (only joking but it is very loud.)
Some Shimano hubs used to use a different set up and can't be heard at all.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
It's the hub rather than the derallieur, and as cyclerUK said it depends on the hub. There's usually some form of "clicky noise," but tyre roar can drown it out if it's a quiet hub (pick the back end up and spin it).

If you really like loud hubs see if you can get hold of a Hope hub, particularly the Pro II (not sure if you can get them in the states, they're made in the UK). They're an MTB hub though, but they have one of the loudest clicks out there. They're also virtually indestructible and are so well made they rarely fail (almost everyone runs them for Downhill, and I've only ever heard of three fail, all were due to defects in manufacturing).
(05-14-2010, 03:36 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Depends on the make of the hub.
Shimano tend to be quiet whereas Campagnolo really tick. My Mavic can be heard 3 streets away. (only joking but it is very loud.)
Some Shimano hubs used to use a different set up and can't be heard at all.

I have a Shimano 105 drivetrain, but I'd have to go look at the hub. The bike specs say "aluminum" which isn't terribly helpful. I just think it's interesting, because until recently, I thought all bikes made ticking sounds when not being pedaled.

Patty
(05-14-2010, 05:21 PM)JonB Wrote:  It's the hub rather than the derallieur, and as cyclerUK said it depends on the hub. There's usually some form of "clicky noise," but tyre roar can drown it out if it's a quiet hub (pick the back end up and spin it).

It's not quiet at all, but I've heard noisier ones. As Goldilocks says, it's just right. Oh, maybe that's the bear. Big Grin

Anyway, until I realized that my friend's bike is quiet when she's not pedaling, I never thought about it.

Thanks!
Patty
Just a note some sound the same no if it is a Freewheel or Freehub Wink . As long as you do not hear grinding sounds your ok hahaha.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Zviedrs

06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: damian

01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Last Post: KDC1956