Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hello All!
Hi everyone, new here. Haven't been on a bike in...well...far too long, let's leave it at that! lol I have recently been looking for a bike and think I've the found one. I'll be meeting a seller tomorrow to look at a vintage bike. *psyched!*

It's a Vista Espada(it's pictured in my avatar). I think it'll be fun to roam around the cape on. Reminds me of my dad's Schwinn that I used to borrow all the time. If I don't get that one I'll keep looking for that style, road bike w/ drop bars.

Anywho, look forward to learning from everybody. Especially any interested in vintage bikes. ^_^
(05-17-2010, 04:39 PM)kati Wrote:  Hi everyone, new here. Haven't been on a bike in...well...far too long, let's leave it at that! lol I have recently been looking for a bike and think I've the found one. I'll be meeting a seller tomorrow to look at a vintage bike. *psyched!*

It's a Vista Espada(it's pictured in my avatar). I think it'll be fun to roam around the cape on. Reminds me of my dad's Schwinn that I used to borrow all the time. If I don't get that one I'll keep looking for that style, road bike w/ drop bars.

Anywho, look forward to learning from everybody. Especially any interested in vintage bikes. ^_^

Very nice bike! Welcome back to the world of riding! There are many people that are getting back into riding for many reasons: health, saving money on climbing gas prices, hobbyisms, and many more reasons. This website took me from merely a ride or two a month to become a full blown bicycle enthusiast. Also I restore and work on many bicycles not just for money but mainly because I enjoy it!! Big Grin . Many here have helped me out on things I do not know, there are still quite a few lol. As well I get to help them out on any questions that I may know the answer.

So welcome to the site and the forums and asked as many questions as you like none are too hard and none are too simple.

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well... It turned out that one was too big for me! (and I'm not exactly short.. lol 5'8"/33" inseam) So I am still in search of the ultimate bike. The guy who was selling it is really nice and said if he found something smaller in a similar style I'd be the first one to know.

So I guess it's back to the drawing board. Smile Definitely not giving up! I'm wondering though, if I don't end up with a vintage, what brands are good these days? Entry level/mid range type.

I'm looking at the new Kona bikes and I like the look of them. I'm guessing ppl have Konas here, but has anyone had any experience with the Dew Drop? I've never had a bike with disc brakes before so that has me a little leery.
(05-19-2010, 11:11 AM)kati Wrote:  Well...
So I guess it's back to the drawing board. Smile Definitely not giving up! I'm wondering though, if I don't end up with a vintage, what brands are good these days? Entry level/mid range type.

I'm looking at the new Kona bikes and I like the look of them. I'm guessing ppl have Konas here, but has anyone had any experience with the Dew Drop? I've never had a bike with disc brakes before so that has me a little leery.

Hi,
Kona's are very good bikes.
But, and it's my own personal hate, straight forks.
No matter how well they are made they will transmit road shock straight up to the bars.

The other thing I would be be wary of is the gearing.
Look for a bike with fairly low gears. That is small front chainrings and large rear sprockets. Especially as your starting again, you don't want to be put off when it comes to climbing hills.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I love Cape Cod and that area of MA, in the summer that is. I worked at Boston University in the late 80's. Shot a wine commercial at Eugene O'Neils house on the Cape. Been the MV a few times too.

Tried finding some photos and specs on the Vista but nothing came up.You got looong legs Kati.

Probably a 21", 54 cm bike would fit you, maybe a bit taller. Keep on looking you may even find the Schwinn like you borrowed from your dad.

After looking around and talking to bike mechanics I favor finding nice vintage bikes. Guess I am just a stick in the mud, whatever that means. :-))
Never Give Up!!!
I love the weather here in summer but I despise the traffic. Crazy tourists!

The Vista is a hard one to find information on. The only things I really had to go on were from the guy selling it and a friend who works at a bike shop. (he's keeping an eye out for vintage bikes for me)

I figure a 54cm should do the trick. Just have to make sure the reach is okay since, as a friend of mine likes to say I'm "all legs".

Vintage is definitely my favorite, they have so much more character than the new bikes I think. Plus the price tag is generally a bit more reasonable. I don't exactly have 1K to throw at a good new bike at the moment. I'd be willing to make that sort of investment down the road but only after I've actually committed to really getting back into riding and get a feel for what I want. It's tough because I just keep thinking "I want a bike now!!!" but I also want to find just the right one, which may take some time.. lol

Just gotta keep my eyes open. Until then I'll settle for walking the dog. Smile
So I finally found one! <3 So excited, it rides pretty well. I think it needs a tune up since it had been sitting for a while. Unfortunately it's raining this morning so no ride today. But any day the ground isn't soaked I'm gonna be out there!

Here's a pic of the new bike. (hopefully it works)
click me
Nice bike, Fuji and other makes Japanese bikes were very nice, with good frames.

It looks like a 58cm or so frame and it works with stand over height for you? Interesting.
Never Give Up!!!
Stand over is fine, I haven't measured(I don't see any markings on it to confirm size) but a couple people have said it looks like a 58cm/23in frame. But I don't have any problem with it.
FYI

The frame height is measured from center of the crank to top of seat post (frame member tube where the seat post goes). Stand over is measured from ground straight to top of center tube.

Glad it works for you , I like a bigger bike than standards too, to stretch out on.
Never Give Up!!!
Based on my measuring this morning it's a 56cm frame height. Smile Sun is shining today so I'm gonna hit the road before going to work. Have a great day!