Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Which Lube to use?
Hey

I live in a part of the world where access to the correct lubricants for bicycles is zero. So I'm trying to figure out what would be the best alternative?

I can get my hands on:

WD40 - or a local variant
Various Motorbike oils and grease's.

WD40 is not really the best for lubing chains and Derailleur's as it is too thin, whereas motorbike oils are too thick.

Does anybody know of any alternatives?

Thanks in advance
(05-18-2010, 08:48 PM)georges Wrote:  Hey

I live in a part of the world where access to the correct lubricants for bicycles is zero. So I'm trying to figure out what would be the best alternative?

I can get my hands on:

WD40 - or a local variant
Various Motorbike oils and grease's.

WD40 is not really the best for lubing chains and Derailleur's as it is too thin, whereas motorbike oils are too thick.

Does anybody know of any alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Hmm ,
There are some lubricants that would be ok for chain and deraillers. In actuality I use a grease that is used to pack car wheel bearing, mainly because it is teflon based. I do not go crazy with it just enough to get the job done. As far as an oil rated for chains anything like 5w-30 and up is too thick. What country you from, there maybe someone close that could recommend something where you are from. With out knowing a general location it is hard for me to find something that maybe available.

Bill
P.S. There is a member that laid out a chart that had different types of oils and so forth that would be a nice alternative.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Believe it or not I'm living in Vietnam a veritable land of bicycles.

I know a place in Saigon where I can get the stuff I need, sadly I'm working in the middle of nowhere. Traveling to Saigon with work commitments just isn't going to happen for a long time.

Cheers
Ok probably dusty/muddy area. So if you absolutely have to I guess the lightest weight motorcycle oil would work on the chain but beware it will be a magnet for dirt. I know these is a way to break down oil to a thinner body state but I am unsure of what to use or how it is done. But for now you could use the motorcycle oil.

Hope this helps,
Bill
P.S. Wow Vietnam awesome.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Mix gear oil with mineral spirits. Because it is thinner, it will penetrate the joints of the chain better than pure oil. But the more volatile spirits will evaporate and leave the oil behind. Then you can wipe off the exterior where lubrication is not really needed anyway to reduce how much dirt collects. Not ideal, but it works pretty well.
Thanks Dave I do believe that is the one mixture I was talking about. Tried searching the site for a few mins and then after 45mins of reading posts I got tired.
If I sent you an aerosol can of Tri-Flo via USPS would it get to you? If I had to pick one lube for all applications, I would choose Tri-Flo.
Hello All. First time poster on this forum, have found good info here. I used Finish Line Wet Lube for the first time. I ride on a path of crushed lime stone so its pretty dusty. After my ride of 20mi. the chain was full of grit. Did i not wipe enough off,should I use Dry lube instead? Am I going to have to clean this chain every time I ride? Any help would be appreciated.

JFM....
I haven't used the dry lube, but have heard good things about it. In that type of terrain you could try using it and see if you get less grit in the chain. If you have not seen alex's vid tutorial here it is on chain cleaning and lubing ... http://bikeride.com/chain-lubrication/ .
Thanks Bill, I applied the Dry Lube and took a 12 mi. ride around town,all asphalt, and it seemed to shift just fine. Will try it on the limestone path next week. Will let you know how it works.

JFM...
Well, went for 25mi ride on the crushed limestone path with the Dry Lube and yes there was grit on the chain. Not as much as with the Wet Lube but a significant amount non the less. I guess I,ll just have to clean the chain weekly or find a new place to ride.

JFM.....
what about a chain oiler?
like scottoiler or mr chainlube
i have never tried one on my bicycle
but the one i bought for my motor cycle
made a convert out of me.
i know they make them.
ive been trying too find one local to buy
but small towns like mine dont stock the fancy bike toys,and im not in a rush to ebay one.

nutz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: ishvii

06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Dalton2250

02-05-2011, 11:17 AM