Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
New BB - can't shift front derailleur onto large chainring
Hi,
I recently replaced my worn-out bottom bracket. I didn't have the part with me when I went to the bike shop, but I gave them the width of the bottom bracket when I ordered the part. The guy told me that this one was "slightly wider" but that it wouldn't matter.
After installing the new bottom bracket, I am having difficulty adjusting the front derailleur.
It appears that the derailleur is unable to move far enough out to properly shift the chain onto the large chainring. It is a 3-chainring mountain bike. Even if I pull the cable by hand and remove the H-limit screw, the derailleur does not move far enough out. It gets close, grinds a lot, and sometimes makes the shift.
My question is whether this means that the bottom bracket is simply too wide (it is only maybe a couple mm wider than the old one) and I should get a new bottom bracket or if my front derailleur somehow is faulty in that it can't shift far enough out?
The bike is 15+ years old so it wouldn't surprise me if the part were worn out.

To me it sounds as if the BB axle is indeed too wide. The front derailleur has a range it can move. If it was a narrow fit before you replaced it, it won't work now. And "a couple mm" can be quite a bit (as my colleague recently found out... here, the BB was too narrow, you live and learn...).

Yes you have the wrong BB for your bike.What you need if you still have the old one is take that to your LBS and have them order you the right one or you can order it your self at Amazon.com they don't cost that much. I hope you still have the old one to look at.or if you are sure it is only 2mm wider then get one that is 2mm smaller.Any way you have to get the right part or you will always have problem. I went back and re read your post I think the guy you talk to don't know much about bicycle if he told you it would not matter as you found out it does. Hope you get the right part soon and let us know the out come of it. But this is a good way for you to find out more about your bicycle we all learn some of us the hard way I sure have lean the hard way on a lot of stuff lol.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem with my Front Derailleur on my Bike CUDAcores89 1 710 10-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Last Post: kazz
  Front Derailleur/Shifter Problem kazz 0 760 10-06-2017, 02:28 AM
Last Post: kazz
  Front derailleur shifting problem dventura 1 6,705 02-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  When sitting and riding on mountain bike, front gears will not shift. Mountain 1 4,556 08-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Front derailleur won't shift into third (largest) gear bruin1989 1 7,845 08-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Front derailleur can't shift from inner chainring to outer...sometimes Ptero 2 4,903 07-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Front derailleur drags on middle chainring? fionn88 1 4,856 06-09-2016, 08:56 PM
  Remove chain from front derailleur rider2 1 4,187 05-13-2016, 04:16 PM
  Chain Coming off Randomly / Front Derailleur Jlpicard440 12 7,059 09-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Blocked front derailleur? dude 2 3,628 08-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Last Post: dude