Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Roadmaster; anyone fix one up?
Any body fix up a roadmaster mt fury type model to a rideable condition? I have one and would like to do a few modifications.
I have two of those!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(06-02-2010, 05:58 PM)dryvr12 Wrote:  Any body fix up a roadmaster mt fury type model to a rideable condition? I have one and would like to do a few modifications.

I've got one that I've stripped down to just the frame, and have been getting new/upgraded parts to rebuild it. It'll be an entirely different bike when I'm done, a nice "urban" cruiser. So far, I've spent several times what the original bike was worth on the parts, but it's a fun project. Of course, it's entirely possible that I'll screw it up thoroughly.

What do you have planned?
(06-10-2010, 08:17 PM)Billy Wrote:  
(06-02-2010, 05:58 PM)dryvr12 Wrote:  Any body fix up a roadmaster mt fury type model to a rideable condition? I have one and would like to do a few modifications.

I've got one that I've stripped down to just the frame, and have been getting new/upgraded parts to rebuild it. It'll be an entirely different bike when I'm done, a nice "urban" cruiser. So far, I've spent several times what the original bike was worth on the parts, but it's a fun project. Of course, it's entirely possible that I'll screw it up thoroughly.

Well, could you post pics? All I considered was repainting the frame and if it was worth it, getting some decent brake, derailers, and a possible upgraded crank.
(06-10-2010, 11:27 PM)dryvr12 Wrote:  
(06-10-2010, 08:17 PM)Billy Wrote:  

Well, could you post pics? All I considered was repainting the frame and if it was worth it, getting some decent brake, derailers, and a possible upgraded crank.

You can repaint for a project bike. Will say that to do it right and make it look nice I would only buy Spray Paint to redo the paint job. 1 can Primer, 1 can Paint, and 1 can Clear Coat would run you around $20.00. Do not forget the sanding paper as well. AS I SAID for a practice job it is a nice bike to restore. Now would not buy new brakes (pads are ok new), deraillers can be cleaned up rather nicely (don't spend a fortune on new), crank well I would not unless you can get one a very low price. Who knows, if you like it enough afterwards you may keep it as your primary. Just making a statement that you may come across something better and then you will know how to restore it and all the good stuff.

Whatever your decision keep us posted,
Bill (Just 'cuz my bike has nuts, does not mean I am crazy!)
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(06-10-2010, 11:27 PM)dryvr12 Wrote:  Well, could you post pics? All I considered was repainting the frame and if it was worth it, getting some decent brake, derailers, and a possible upgraded crank.

Hah, right now that would just be a picture of a pile of parts, it doesn't look too much like a bike. You can see the original version in my entry in the "Showoff your bike!" area here: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1529.html

The second picture down shows it as it looked when I got it. It's a lady's type, with a pink-fading-to-purple paint scheme, horrible decals and pastel lilac and teal cable housing.

I could have done a lot of cleaning and tuning and only replaced the cables and brake pads to get the bike road-worthy, but:
A) I really enjoy tearing things down completely and rebuilding them.
B) I like customizing things.
C) It would still have been heavy and ugly when I was done.

I've got all of the parts I need (I think), I've just got to get around to the paint. However, it's summer here in Alaska, so it's hard to make myself stay home and work on it.

I did do a dry-fit of the new parts, and took a couple of pictures of the American to Euro bottom bracket converter. I'll try to get those posted this weekend.

I'm currently working on an older Murray that was in fair shape when I bought it. Elitists snear at me for spending time with a mass produced big box store bike but every rebuild teaches me something, allows me to justify buying tools, and ends up recovering a segment of the bike world that otherwise would have been melted for scrap.

I certainly wouldn't put high end drive components on any of them but the idea, in my mind, is to restore a good one to original specs so that the old, heavy, steel beast will live another 50 years. It was those bikes, the Roadmaster included, that kept bicycling alive and well for at least a generation for the common folk.

Some people even collect Chevy Vegas and Ford Pintos ya know....there's a nut living under almost every rock you want to turn over and I is one. Unashamably and happily so.
Things are getting worse faster than I can lower my standards

Possibly Related Threads...