Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Airport Security
So I'm going to Britain this summer for a cycling trip and I'm curious if anyone knows what I should put in my checked bags and what I can keep on my carry on.

Multitool?
D-Lock?
Spare tubes?
Helmet?
The camelbak itself? (Empty of course)
Live life one century at a time.
Not sure of how your airport security is but here in US those are a definite NO NO. I know Canadian Border is very tight at least in the past they were so I am thinking your airport security is the same. If I were you look online to see the allowable items. Plus being you are going to Britain not too sure but they are pretty tough on security measures, which I am glad they are Smile . Best to research it by going to the Airlines companies website or calling them up on the phone.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well I wasn't holding my breath on my D-Lock or multitool but you don't think my helmet or hydration backpack will be allowed through?
(06-08-2010, 11:43 PM)Kloosty Wrote:  Well I wasn't holding my breath on my D-Lock or multitool but you don't think my helmet or hydration backpack will be allowed through?

Found this for you maybe it will answer a few of your questions, http://www.flysunwing.com/travelinfo/baggageinfo.asp . I found it interesting. Sometimes I get lost in reading and have to read the whole thing then forget I am supposed to post haha.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(06-08-2010, 11:43 PM)Kloosty Wrote:  Well I wasn't holding my breath on my D-Lock or multitool but you don't think my helmet or hydration backpack will be allowed through?

Based solely on my experiences from half-a-dozen trips (within the U.S.) over the past year, I'd feel comfortable taking everything except the multi-tool. Carry the camelbak in a way that will allow the screeners to see that it's empty (don't just leave it empty and still "installed"). After you pass through the check-points, you may also be able to fill it and have water for the flight.

But don't take my opinions as a legitimate guide, find out from the airline(s) and appropriate government agencies.

Out of curiosity, what type of box/crate are you using for your bike, and is the airline adding on extra fees for it?
For AirTransat it's $30 which includes a bike bag
im pretty sure airports wont allow you to brings any kind of tools (maybe in ur luggage or something) but u cant have it on you when ur on the plane
Here's my advice (being a Brit):

Multi-tool:
Forget it! they'll take it off you and you'll NEVER see it again.

Spare tubes:
Probably OK, but don't take my word for it.

D-lock:
Not sure, but I'd put it on the dismantled bike in the hold personally.

Helmet:
Defo one I'd take with me, that way you can guarantee it won't get bashed and broken in the hold.

Camelbak:
This is an interesting one, as any fluids have to be in 100ml max bottles (for UK it is anyway), and your bladder is probably 2L+. I'd advise putting the actual bladder in the hold and carrying the bag.