Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Crank Puller Failing to Pull Crank
Hello there,

I have been trying to remove the cranks from an old bicycle frame. I use a crank puller (with an attached arm) according to the tutorial on this site—turning the external threading clockwise into the crank, then turning the inner bolt of the puller equally clockwise against the spindle inside the crank in order to force it off. Nevertheless, the crank will stick in place. I have tried both cranks with the same result.

Is there any magic potion I can use to get the crank off the spindle? Or will I have to get my hands on tools with more leverage?

I am facing the same problem with the bolt in the bicycle stem.

Many thanks for your suggestions!
You will probably have to put some more pressure on on it. I do not know if this will help but you can take Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and spray it on the back and in the hole. Also there is a retainer bolt/nut did you remove this first?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Try some heat on the crank centers. The idea being that the alloy cranks will expand quicker than the steel axle. Use a heat gun or hot water and at the same time applying pressure.
(Three hands needed. !?!?)
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(07-03-2010, 10:23 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Try some heat on the crank centers. The idea being that the alloy cranks will expand quicker than the steel axle. Use a heat gun or hot water and at the same time applying pressure.
(Three hands needed. !?!?)

If this doesn't work or you strip the thread, you may have to resort to brute force, a long bar and a decent hammer and knock it off from the back, with care and due regard to health and safety. It's easier if you don't want to save the chainset, but can usually be done without too much damage if you are lucky.
Or ones of these... http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Research-Crank-Thread-Chaser/dp/B001GSMIDM
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
When I was in Automotive college sometimes it was easier to get and old bolt off a rusty engine by first tightening the bolt till you feel that it's been tightened a bit then it should loosen way easier without damage. you could spray lube on it after and it may help lube it to slide off. And as well check to make sure that the retainer bolt for the crank arm is taken off the spindle.
OK I'm several days late with this reply, but before you heat, pry, grind, apply acid, etc, make sure the head of the inner part of the puller isn't larger than the space it will be pushing through to contact the spindle.

Yes, I know that sounds dumb, but I had that happen this weekend.

I started off using a Pedro's Universal crank puller, but it wouldn't thread properly. Since I was working on a Shimano ISIS-splined crankset, I went and bought a Park Tool CCP-44C. It threaded in fine, but wouldn't pull the crank, and I was getting close to using brute force. I unscrewed it, and the head popped off the puller and stayed in the crank, lightly stuck. I switched back to the Pedro's puller, which has two interchangeable heads, using the smaller head. It threaded in just fine that time (maybe the threads were dirty the first time, I don't know) and slid the cranks right off.
air hammer down the center with puller cranked to high tension. find in auto shop or a friend who has air tools

Possibly Related Threads...