Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help rear derailer nightmare
So i have shimano rapid fire shifters and a shimano altus rear derailer. There are 8 rings, and for some reason it wasn't going onto 1, so i was trying to make adjustments based on the tutorial here, and it wasn't having it (well i couldn't get it to 1 to even start).

So like a true idiot that i can tend to be when handling thing i know little about, i find where the cable is going and i loosen the bolt thinking that adjusting it will help. So i unintentionally remove all the tension and have the bike stuck on the 8th ring. I put more tension into the cable and refasten the bolt, and now it won't go back into 8, so i have 2-7 and i think it's kind of wonky from 5-7 or maybe 4-6. I don't want to take it to a mechanic because 1 they probably aren't open, and 2, i don't really have the money at the moment. Any ideas?
Watch this: http://bikeride.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/
(07-04-2010, 04:46 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Watch this: http://bikeride.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

I did, before i tried anything. I was hoping to get this done today, because the shops are all closed, but it looks like that may be my only option.
Ok i got it so it is going on the first ring, but when it is on the first ring it says 2 on the shifter and it makes noise on 1, and will not go onto 8... how do i remedy this?
I'm not sure what you mean by 1,8, etc so I'll use inner/outer.
- undo the cable
- adjust the outer limit screw so the derailleur sits directly under and in line with the outer cog
- reattach the cable with the shifter in the first position (if it won't run smoothly in the outer gear, you may have the tension too tight)
- adjust the individual shifts using the small barrel adjuster on the derailleur so the shifter position and cogs line up
- check the inner limit to make sure you can't overshift and hit the spokes.

If the chain won't go to the very outer cog, first check to see if there is still tension on the cable in that position. If not, back the limit screw out a little until it will drop in. But you have to be careful not to go too far or the chain will fall off. (The inner limit is very important not to let the derailleur hit the spokes which can cause a lot of damage.)
look at this;
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Alivio-Acera/RearDriveSystem/SI_6R3RA_001/SI_6R3RA_001_En_v1_m56577569830647072.pdf
should be the same as Altus.

Possibly Related Threads...