Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Panarace TG
Has anyone here use a set of panaracer tg tires before.My other tires I got for my touring bicycle are shot I took them back to the shop where I got them from and got my money back.I am looking for a set in 26x1.75 these tire has to be good for the long haul.I'm looking to go on a 2000 + mile trip soon here.And yes I will try my best to post pics as I go.Start date is still up in the air @ this time lol.Wife is having a fit here too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
2000 miles WOW!! That is a long haul. As far as tires I found this older post on epinions.... http://www0.epinions.com/review/Panaracer_Pasela_TG/content_97653329540 . I personally do not know about them. How have ya been?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Schwalbe do a whole series of long distance tyres: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/product/marathon-plus-10686

There are several other Marathon tyres with different levels of puncture protection and tread patterns for different terrain: http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1073-marathon.html
Hey Bill I have been working on my LHT a lot trying to get it ready for my long tour coming up. My wife is having a fit too. If you remember I had a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires I never could get them to mount right I got them close but still could not get it like it should be I even took them to my LBS and they could not get them to fit any better than I had them. So they gave me back my money. And its looking like I may get these new ones. They sure are a lot cheaper than the last pair. If I knew what part of NY you was in I would stop by on my way to Bangor Maine. But I don't think you would be home. I need to post new pics of my Surly LHT I got some real nice Panniers and Saddle bags on it now. But its been raining so much here with all the bad weather no can do.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Very true , as I am always out and about being that it is summer time. Keep us posted on your ride.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Quote:I had a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires I never could get them to mount right I got them close but still could not get it like it should be I even took them to my LBS and they could not get them to fit any better than I had them.

That's strange I have a pair on one of my bikes; some people seem to struggle, see the video on this page: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/index.php. However, I fitted them without any tools or ties with no problems whatsoever, just popped the last section on to the rims with my thumbs, like I would any other tyre.
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I really did not actually think putting a tire on was that involved. What I would have done is returned the tires, got a different brand, and wrote the manufacturer telling them they need some SERIOUS engineering redesigns!!! Half way through that video reminded me of my younger days when I did my own 15" P235 automotive tires with hand tools. Also started feeling bad for the guy in the video for all the trouble he had to go through. Imagine on a ride and getting a flat.... your screwed! No bicycle tire should have this much involvement.
Quote:OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I really did not actually think putting a tire on was that involved.

I think it's an issue with some rims, as far as I know tyres and rims are manufactured with pretty accurate bead and seat diameters. However, some rims have a slightly taller rim above the bead seat, making it much harder to push the final section of the tyre up and over it. And generally small wheels and tyres are more tricky than larger ones because the difference in diameter of the rim top compared to the bead seat is is greater in relation.

That said, the Marathon Plus tyres, are very heavy and inflexible and are harder to fit that lighter, more pliable tyres. On the up side they are supposed to be virtually puncture proof and last for thousands of miles, so you shouldn't need to remove and refit them very often.