Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

V Brake help - Rear brake not working correctly.
I just ordered a bike online cause I'm poor and just wanted something. Finally got it all together, but the rear brakes aren't working correct. My dad was trying to make both work and he managed to get the front brakes working fine.

I am no mechanic, but I thought, what the hell. I'll search online to see what I can do maybe. We've taken the break apart multiple times and have tried numerous adjustments. I can't see any of the videos yet because for some reason adobe is not updating for me (hopefully will be able to soon).

This bike is Schwinn Lakeshore Cruiser Bike Pacific Women's 26-Inch. The thing that *seems* to be the problem with the rear brake is that the cable wire is too loose. This appears to happen up at the top near the lever. You can see by looking in through that there is space with the cable, and def more space than the front tire has with it's lever. It even makes a sound because of the space/loose ness.

If someone is awesome and knows what the solution is I'd very much appreciate it.

I will never again order a bike online. As it is, the front fender was dented in immensely coming out of the box, and the handlebars have scratches all over the black part. I understand that shipping can cause these things, but I still paid a decent price for this bike even if it is just a lower model.

It makes you wish someone out there would start a bike company that decent, simple, quality bikes for a reasonable price. I paid $170, and yes, many are much more. But for that much money I think the quality isn't worth it. It's also possible the gears don't shift, but I haven't checked them yet. My dad just said he didn't think they were working. But that's a whole other issue. Anyway, such a shame I couldn't have shopped smarter. :-(
Quote:It makes you wish someone out there would start a bike company that decent, simple, quality bikes for a reasonable price. I paid $170, and yes, many are much more. But for that much money I think the quality isn't worth it. It's also possible the gears don't shift, but I haven't checked them yet. My dad just said he didn't think they were working. But that's a whole other issue. Anyway, such a shame I couldn't have shopped smarter. :-(

I think the old rule that "you get what you pay for" still applies, but if you're new to bicycles and cycling it can be difficult to know where to start.

I think the best bargains are to be had if you buy used, but you do need to know what to look for to avoid buying a piece junk. My best advice would be to find someone that is a keen cyclist, a relative, someone at work, anyone that knows something about it but doesn't have a vested interest. In my experience, most people are flattered if you ask advice and are keen to show off their knowledge and help out.

In any case, that's a bit late now, so have a look at this video and see if it helps: http://bikeride.com/adjust-v-brakes/. There's a whole bunch of others on this site that should help you sort out any other teething troubles.
My quick and dirty method:
1) Check to make sure that the noodle is seated in the stirrup correctly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake_systems#V-brakes, and that the cable is seated in the lever.

2) Squeeze the brake lever about 3/4 of the way closed and fix it there with some string or tape or a velcro strip.

3) Loosen the nut that holds the cable on the brake and squeeze the brakes as hard as you can against the wheel; keep them squeezed.

4) Have your helper (Dad) pull the cable tight with a pair of pliers and tighten the nut.

5) Unstrap the lever and test.
Thanks all! Currently (even in this heat) am trying stuff out right now! I am determined to fix it. I mean, logically, there has to be a way to so I'm not giving up cause I really want to ride a bike this summer ^.^ . Will post any updates/further questions.
All fixed!! Between both my dad and I. I figured out it was one of the levers (if you call it that), on the rear that wasn't working (originally thought it was the wire but thanks to the video figured out the levers controlled the tension yay). Then I knew it had to be that the spring wasn't giving enough tension on the right side of the brake, so my dad and I adjusted things a few times and it works now! Well still need to take it for a ride to make it official but otherwise.

Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...