Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need to move derailleur body angle
It appears I have an inexpensive Shimano derailleurs with no B screw and I need to raise the derailleur body angle is there any way I can do this. My gears are skipping and when I manually raise the derailleur body angle it resolves the problem, but with no B screw how can make the adjustment?

Unless the pulleys are actually hitting the cogs, I'm not sure that just changing the angle should fix a gear skip issue. It may be that you pull the derailleur back you're also pulling it straight or otherwise changing the alignment. I suspect there is another cause for the skipping.
Is it jumping between gears, slipping up over the top of the gear, skipping once every 2-3 pedal strokes, etc?
You may be able to tweak the spring in the derail to give it more pull, but would probably need a new derailleur if this is the problem.

Thanks for your reply, the problem I want to adjust the derailleur body angle so the chain is closer to the cogs which when I gently move the body manually so the chain is closer I don't get the skipping. I have gone through rear derailleur adjustment process as described in the repair tutorials.but without having the B screw it does look as if I will have to replace the derailleur set. Thanks again I appreciate your response.

I still think something is going on beyond just the derailleur angle. Big question is what you mean by skipping. Is it jumping between gears, riding up on top of the teeth, stiff link, etc. It may be a worn chain or other problem. Does it skip under load or only up in the stand?

Possibly Related Threads...