Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

can it be fixed
Yes
50.00%
No
50.00%
If so not worth it
0%
This poll has expired - it is no longer possible to vote.
4 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Cracked Wheel hub
Is this fixable my local shop said no. but I think it may be fixable.
The only reason I want it fixed is the unique design on it goes to my 1971 world championship Raleigh record and I wanted both rims to match
But if I can’t be fixed does anyone know where to find such a style hub.
I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but I really do not think that there is anything that can be done to repair this. However I will search for a similar hub for ya.
Hehehe I think I found one, Ill pm ya!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(07-22-2010, 10:01 PM)Bill Wrote:  I really hate to be the bearer of bad news but I really do not think that there is anything that can be done to repair this. However I will search for a similar hub for ya.
Hehehe I think I found one, Ill pm ya!

Thank You soo Much(^_^)
Your very welcome
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The bit that's cracked is the bearing "cup". It is made of steel and will be inserted into the alloy hub.
You might be able to knock it out from the other side with a bit of steel rod.
Whether you can get spare cups though to replace it is very doubtful?

As Bill says probably a replacement hub required. (pity really just for the sake of a dollar part.!!)
Ride hard or ride home alone!
thank you for your input. it is a pity because its all aluminum and all in good shape.
In principle it can be fixed. Try to get the cup out and look for one with the same dimensions (I'd guess you'd have to replace the corresponding cone as well). Maybe try to find some company that makes cup and cone bearings or salvage from another hub.
Other possible way: Try to get a matching wheel (at least a hub and relace).
thats a good idea thank you i have other rear wheels that are old but the hubs are ok.
@Joe: I think on this one we reversed our normal outlook lol Wink . I said it couldn't and you said it could. Always great though to find a fix for something in an inexpensive way. Smile
@Bill: that's why I said "in principle". Usually you can fix lots of things, how economically feasible it would be is another question (leading to my aversion to fixing low end stuff). In this case, there are a lot of "mights" and "coulds", but in order to restore this wheel it might be worth the effort. I only guess that you have to use a press to get the cup out of the hub. There are do-it-yourself car workshops that have such a press (or just drop by your friendly neighbourhood car workshop and ask them).
Said very well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-07-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: ichitan

10-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Last Post: fishboy316

12-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Last Post: nfmisso