Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Newbie - First road bike - grinding noise/ feel
Hello all,

I just purchased my first road bike (recent love for the sport), a Marin Argenta that was received 90% assembled. I completed the assembly then took it to my LBS for a tune up. After the tune up, I can notice a grinding noise/ feel while pedaling with high gears (cogs #1-2-3 I think that is the largest diam. ones, sorry I don't know all the proper terminology yet) and front wheelring is any (I have triple crankset).

I took the bike back to my LBS explaining thT being a brand new bike, I thought it should feel smoothest while pedaling, at any gear selection, they attempted to 'fine' tune the derailleurs (rear mainly).

Eventually they told me that being a new bike it was normal to have that grinding noise/ feel in high gears and that I needed to go thru a break in period with my bike.

I am a bit surprised by that comment but I suppose it can make sense. Could any experience rider share his/her thoughts about the LBS comment?

Very much appreciated and thank you for reading my first post! Smile
Sebastien / IOWA
(07-22-2010, 03:40 PM)sebbie74 Wrote:  Hello all,

I just purchased my first road bike (recent love for the sport), a Marin Argenta that was received 90% assembled. I completed the assembly then took it to my LBS for a tune up. After the tune up, I can notice a grinding noise/ feel while pedaling with high gears (cogs #1-2-3 I think that is the largest diam. ones, sorry I don't know all the proper terminology yet) and front wheelring is any (I have triple crankset).

I took the bike back to my LBS explaining thT being a brand new bike, I thought it should feel smoothest while pedaling, at any gear selection, they attempted to 'fine' tune the derailleurs (rear mainly).

Eventually they told me that being a new bike it was normal to have that grinding noise/ feel in high gears and that I needed to go thru a break in period with my bike.

I am a bit surprised by that comment but I suppose it can make sense. Could any experience rider share his/her thoughts about the LBS comment?

Very much appreciated and thank you for reading my first post! Smile

I'm not sure what might be causing the grinding, but I think your LBS is OTL to say that it's normal for a new bike to sound/feel like that. Maybe take it to another bike shop for a second opinion?
Hi Smile ,
I know this may sound like a simple solution but it is probably the one your looking for ... http://bicycletutor.com/gear-shifting/ .

Let us know,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(07-22-2010, 08:33 PM)Bill Wrote:  Hi Smile ,
I know this may sound like a simple solution but it is probably the one your looking for ... http://bicycletutor.com/gear-shifting/ .

Let us know,
Bill

Thanks Bill,

I had found this video earlier (and many others I've been watching to educate myself) BUT not quite what my problem is: I experience grinding noise/feel (it is more of a feel thru the chain/crank/pedal) with chain on position 30x27 or 39x27.

This issue bothers me with a brand new bike equipped with Shimano 105 all around. Also the dealer's comment after (re)tuning :'it is a new bike, it will need a break in period for it to disappear!' -> REALLY ??

Maybe I'm being too picky, am I really? Just trying to have my new bike run the way it was designed to.

Thanks for your time and any advice/sugg. you can share with me.
Sebastien / IOWA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Back peddling grinding noise Chiriqui 4 3,790 04-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Last Post: eastman
  Road bike clicking sound Qwertybot101 6 5,371 08-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Qwertybot101
  Restore Rusted 80s Peugeot Road Bike bbergkamp 15 16,780 05-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Avanti bike creaking noise...? HeLeX 2 3,328 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Last Post: okers12
  Help with my 1985 Raleigh Team USA road bike. Macintosh. 3 7,339 06-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Macintosh.
  New Bike Rear Noise Maximus817 7 10,827 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Bill
  Mountain Bike vs Road Bike ride? Is it me? GeorgeET 6 8,208 08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Squeaking noise when standing on road bike Bruce Brossman 3 7,559 05-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Bill