Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Pedal, but no movement
Yep, 10-4 to that Dave. The guy replaced a broken tool and took the cluster off for you. I certainly would reciprocate and give him my business. It was spinning not locking so its not working.

As per freehub you can try soaking it and play with it, but looking at all the crud and rust IMO this bike did not get much attention and service, so its time.
Never Give Up!!!
Awesome to hear. Sorry if I sounded like a grumpy old man, which I wasn't trying to be. Do agree with Dave and George that it would be best to replace it. Really do not think they are all that much ?!!?!?

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey guys,

The mechanic was a really nice guy, i did try to buy a new freehub with him, but he said they were out of stock and he couldn't order one for me either, which was a bit strange....

I've managed to take everything apart so that i can hold the freehub in my hand and I've cleaned everything with a dry cloth. The hub still spins both ways, but occasionally locks, which gives me hope in thinking there must be a way to fix it!!! I haven't tried soaking it, as i don't know what to soak it in. Is it safe to soak it in water or diluted washing up liquid? Do you think i can open up the hub itself to take a look if anything is out of place/broken?

Thx so much again for all the help so far guys, i really appreciate it!

-Vince
i would try flushing it through with engine degreaser, something like Gunk:

[Image: gunk-engine-degreaser-1-litre.jpg]

Other brands are available and just as effective and you can get in cans, to brush on, or you can put it in a garden type sprayer or you can buy it as an aerosol. Flush it through and once the mechanism is free, rinse it with water and allow it to dry thoroughly before re-lubricating.
Ummm YUP that'll clean it up Big Grin . Ok if one of the guys here can help you pick the correct one out of these maybe it is what you need.... http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=shimano+hyperglide+hub+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=shumano+hyperglide+hub&_rdc=1
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey all!

Great news Smile It's fixed! Thx to all of you for the help. I used the gunk that xerxes suggested and it worked perfectly! I'm so happy, as i really thought i was gonna have to spend more money for a replacement part.

Check out the video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6ErVvSl9JY

Once again, thank you all, I will surely come back to you for advice and recommend this site and you guys in particular to anyone having bike problems Wink

-Vince
Wahhooooo!!! Very glad to hear that fixed it too, other then having to go and buy another one!
I'm pleased that worked.
Marvelous!
Make sure you have got rid of all the "Gunk" so it doesn't contaminate the wheel bearings after re-assembly.
(I would consider getting a spare if you can find one ?)
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Hello. My bike rear wheel is having similar problem. But my wheel is able to spins forward but at a certain point when I stop my bike and apply torque to start up the bike the free hub skips a bit then as I continue to pedal the bike is able to move without any problem. It's that certain part in my freewheel that is slipping and sometimes I can hear a slight click sound while I am pedaling instead of slipping it just makes a click sound. Do you think I have the same problem as this guy??? I been riding my bike in bad weather condition (rain) this whole month. I am thinking using this suggestion.

How do I flush the de-greaser? Where do I apply it?? Will regular chain lube oil work or WD-40??

I have the Shimano 105 8 Speed Hyperglide Rear Cassette 32 Hole Hub FH-1056 Mint for my bike.

Thanks for the help.
The weather also been really cold here in the 30s. correction I have a Shimano cassette hub. The exact model is Shimano-FH-MC18-Freehub-Alivio-Deore.

(01-21-2013, 11:57 PM)SimonLee Wrote:  Hello. My bike rear wheel is having similar problem. But my wheel is able to spins forward but at a certain point when I stop my bike and apply torque to start up the bike the free hub skips a bit then as I continue to pedal the bike is able to move without any problem. It's that certain part in my freewheel that is slipping and sometimes I can hear a slight click sound while I am pedaling instead of slipping it just makes a click sound. Do you think I have the same problem as this guy??? I been riding my bike in bad weather condition (rain) this whole month. I am thinking using this suggestion.

How do I flush the de-greaser? Where do I apply it?? Will regular chain lube oil work or WD-40??

I have the Shimano 105 8 Speed Hyperglide Rear Cassette 32 Hole Hub FH-1056 Mint for my bike.

Thanks for the help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post