Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Where the chain meets the cage and where to buy S6s?
Hey, what's up, this is my first post here - I just joined today. I have lots of bikes - 70's, 80's, even 60's, but few from modern times. Anyway, I have a quick question.

One of our mountain bikes is a 26" Mt. Fury Roadmaster, the inexpensive one from Wal-mart that does quite well for us. Only problem is that when the front is shifted into the smallest sprocket and the rear is at or near the smallest, the tension pulley is pulled up too much towards the guide pulley causing the chain to rub against the cage. Can I just take a link or two out of the chain (just assume it's stretched)? No one ever mentions this when discussing derailleurs. I did once see one guy mention it - he said if you have a bad chain, it can cause the chain to behave as if it has too much slack - and I agree. When I shift to the larger sprockets (which take up more of the chain, the tension pulley hangs down properly again, ie. the spring is pulled enough, and the tension pulley isn't retracted too much). Doesn't what I'm saying make sense? I think removing a link or two or putting on a new chain will allow the tension pulley to hang down when I'm on small front and small rear sprockets (I only need an inch or so here). Well, anyway, when I have time this upcoming week, I will shorten the chain. Just thought I'd share this problem and see if anyone agrees or disagrees with me - no big deal.

By the way, I have Michelin tires and Kendas and I've also used some Bells lately (ordered the Bells from Ace Hardware, and one of em died in a year, but that's fine with me since the bike was beaten so hard by carrying heavy packages). Anyway, I have Kendas for my (597mm/S6-needing) Schwinn. Anyone know of another supplier of 597mm tires - just curious. I realize I could redesign the bike to use a smaller tire and I could probably get away with slightly smaller tires but I don't want slippery tires on my rim so I'll spring for good quality tires if someone knows where to get them. Does Armadillo make road bike tires or just mountain? Glad to meet you all. Take care.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankyguitarwatson/4840988659/in/set-72157624610488068/
You shouldn't really use the small-small gear combination, ie, smallest, leftmost front chainring with the smallest, rightmost rear sprocket, or the other way round, rightmost at the front with the leftmost at the rear. This causes too great an angle in your chain line, and it may rub on the front deraillieur cage and also wear your chain faster.

Take a look here: http://bikeride.com/gear-shifting/

Possibly Related Threads...