Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Ultegra skipping gear(s)
I have an ultegra sti (6500) that always jumps past second or third gear.
I have checked the derailleur hanger alignment which is fine. I can fine tune it to get second gear but then it will skip 3rd - tune for 3rd and it skips 2nd. I am losing the will to live. It also seems to make way more chain noise then it should. Anyone have any ideas? How critical are cable housing lengths?
No one else replied, but have you checked your drivetrain, including the chain, for wear?

Is the chain lubricated well? Any stiff links?

And where is the chain noise coming from?
(08-06-2010, 04:25 PM)AndrewB Wrote:  No one else replied, but have you checked your drivetrain, including the chain, for wear?

Is the chain lubricated well? Any stiff links?

And where is the chain noise coming from?

I checked the chain with a park chain checker and it is in very good shape. No bad links that I could find. I'm picky about keeping it clean and lubed. The noise seems to come from the rear derailleur but I can't see any problem. I guess the cage could be slightly tweaked. I'm at a loss.
Yes look at the cage and hanger carefully to make sure nothing is bend, check your cable make sure its smooth. You can clean and lube the shifter mechanism too.There is a good video for adjustments and cleaning in the repair guide here.

You do not say how old the bike is , but sometimes the shifters need replacing.
Never Give Up!!!
(08-07-2010, 02:39 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Yes look at the cage and hanger carefully to make sure nothing is bend, check your cable make sure its smooth. You can clean and lube the shifter mechanism too.There is a good video for adjustments and cleaning in the repair guide here.

You do not say how old the bike is , but sometimes the shifters need replacing.

I remove the derailleur and held a straight edge to the cage and it had a slight bend. I tried to correct it as best I could and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help.
Cool, glad you got it sorted out.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...