Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

V brakes
Is this generally an accurate statement? Odds are my brake cables and housings are in need of attention if the two arms do not move equally (due to kinks, rust, dirt or whatever) when the levers are squeezed .

When I apply the brakes on a 2003 4100 Trek mtb (a Craigs list garage rescue) the arm the noodle attaches to moves a longer distance than does its' mate. both pads make contact when the brakes are being used so I can stop ok but the one arm barely moves. When the brakes are not engaged one pad has very little clearance while the noodle side pad has a great deal of clearance to compensate for the uneven arm travel. Time for new cable?
You should find that there is a small screw on the side of one or both of the brake arms, the Spring Tension Centering Screw in the image below:

[Image: v-brake2.JPG]

Tighten the screw on the arm that isn't moving, and loosen the one on the arm that is, until both arms move equally. You'll probably find that you only need to adjust the screws a turn or two.
xerxes would this be the same for levers that are difficult to squeeze ? my son has these on his mtb ( hes 9 yrs ) but the levers are very difficult to squeeze and the brakes hardly apply when he does ... any help would be great Smile

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

(09-11-2010, 04:12 PM)jinxy72 Wrote:  xerxes would this be the same for levers that are difficult to squeeze ? my son has these on his mtb ( hes 9 yrs ) but the levers are very difficult to squeeze and the brakes hardly apply when he does ... any help would be great Smile

Make sure everything is free and moves easily.
Unclip the cable at the "noodle". This will allow you to check each arm individually and also check that the cable and brake lever moves freely.
Any roughness should show up and you can take corrective action.
You can squeeze the arms together to feel the tension in them.
Each arm should have a spring that fits inside a hole on the fork leg.
Sometimes there are 3 holes and you could perhaps select another one to give an easier pull. Vee brake levers also tend to be quite short and can usually be operated by 2 fingers but that is with regard to adults and not young children. If in doubt then have your local bike shop check them out.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(09-11-2010, 04:23 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Make sure everything is free and moves easily.
Unclip the cable at the "noodle". This will allow you to check each arm individually and also check that the cable and brake lever moves freely.
Any roughness should show up and you can take corrective action.
You can squeeze the arms together to feel the tension in them.
Each arm should have a spring that fits inside a hole on the fork leg.
Sometimes there are 3 holes and you could perhaps select another one to give an easier pull. Vee brake levers also tend to be quite short and can usually be operated by 2 fingers but that is with regard to adults and not young children. If in doubt then have your local bike shop check them out.

cheers ill dismantle them and start from the beginning with everything .. i think they havent been set-up correctly (rather than faulty) as he aint had it that long and have been same since he got it ..... just that i bought it from a shop in a different part of the country

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post