Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Building a bike from scratch and a Thank you
Hi Guys this is just a general thanks you to everyone who has contributed to this forum - I have only been a member for a few short weeks (long time reader though) I never thought I would be able to do the things I can now do - I can pretty much strip my bike down to the frame and rebuild it - almost 100% because of the tips in here!!

Many, Many thanks . I am about to build my own bike from scratch in the next month (inspired by a bbc tv show last week) I am just sourcing the components I need.

I'll take pics and post bit by bit as I build. - Has anyone else built their own bike?

Thanks

Chris
(08-06-2010, 02:32 AM)mcfchris Wrote:  Hi Guys this is just a gerneral thanks you to everyone who has contributed to this forum - I have only been a memeber for a few short weeks (long time reader though) I never thought I would be able to do the things I can now do - I can pretty much strip my bike down to the frame and rebuild it - almost 100% because of the tips in here!!

Many, Many thanks . I am about to build my own bike from scratch in the next month (inspired by a bbc tv show last week) I am just sourcing the components I need.

I'll take pics and post bit by bit as I build. - Has anyone else built their own bike?

Thanks

Chris

Hiya mate - Yes I have built a couple - What frame did you go for?? Custom or off the shelf?
cycling since 4 years old and never looked back!
Don't know how much I contributed but you are welcome, do you have an internet link to the BBC show because it does indeed sound interesting. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(08-06-2010, 02:32 AM)mcfchris Wrote:  inspired by a bbc tv show last week

Was it this one: http://bbc.co.uk/i/t6ylx/

I enjoyed that too, well worth a watch if anyone hasn't seen it. Sadly, I think you have to be in the UK for BBC iPlayer to work.
Awesome, I love threads like this. Please make sure to post new pictures of all the components as the come in and of the frame after you've added each part.
Kewl. Good luck.

There are cable service providers here in the U.S. that offer a BBC channel. Mine has it but it costs extra to add to my selections. I'm already paying $140 per month, so I am looking to cut back rather than add on. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
BBC iPlayer is not normally available outside the UK.
Pity as the program was about the guy traveling around the world collecting his parts etc.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(08-07-2010, 01:21 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Pity as the program was about the guy travelling around the world collecting his parts etc.

It might show up on a local PBS (public broadcasting) channel some day. Or if you are a contributor then you can always ask for it, regular contributors would likely get first consideration. Smile

Steve
I tried the link and yup can't access it. Although there is another possible way. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I look forward to watching you build your bike. I'm thinking of building my next bike but sadly, the cash flow isn't large enough currently to undertake such a project.
Live life one century at a time.
So it's almost next month any progress on starting the bike build? I get excited about these things. I'm always looking forward to the next build.
where theres a will theres a way ..... look what i found on youtube Smile

building a bike doc from bbc .... enjoy

its in parts but should be all there Smile

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

(09-11-2010, 08:22 PM)jinxy72 Wrote:  where theres a will theres a way ..... look what i found on youtube Smile

That video is excellent! Hope you don't mind, I am starting a new thread. I'll give you credit for the find. Smile

Steve
(09-12-2010, 12:37 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  
(09-11-2010, 08:22 PM)jinxy72 Wrote:  where theres a will theres a way ..... look what i found on youtube Smile

That video is excellent! Hope you don't mind, I am starting a new thread. I'll give you credit for the find. Smile

Steve

Not at all m8 go for it Wink

Boardman Team Road/Race Bike

Felt 620 MTB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Joe_W