Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Replacement Fork
Thinking of replacing fork on 29er with this: http://qballbikes.com/qstick.html

Any thoughts on this fork?
Looks pretty durable, made from CrMo so I don't see any weight issues.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Is the fork geometry the same as the original one? If no: be careful, could render the bike unrideable.
New (used) fork is on bike and rides fine. Geometry was very similar as it was a suspension corrected cromo steel 29er fork. Steer tube was 1/4 inch shorter so 1 spacer taken out of stack. Ride felt good tonight, did not feel as "soft" but was good.
(08-09-2010, 06:50 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Is the fork geometry the same as the original one? If no: be careful, could render the bike unrideable.

This sounds like what I'm dealing with. I have an older bike and have replaced the fork, but it doesn't ride right. ( understeer? ) I'm going to try a new headset. I guess I need to find a book or something that explains the fork geometry your talking about.
(10-20-2010, 09:42 PM)davecicale Wrote:  This sounds like what I'm dealing with. I have an older bike and have replaced the fork, but it doesn't ride right. ( understeer? ) I'm going to try a new headset. I guess I need to find a book or something that explains the fork geometry your talking about.

A new headset won't help. When you're changing a fork, it's the axle to crown length and the fork offset that will determine how the bike rides compared to the original. With a similar offset, a longer fork will decrease the head angle and increase the trail and make the steering slower, a shorter fork will have the opposite effect and make the steering quicker and possibly too twitchy.

Here's some explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post