Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cable tension
I've been trying to tune up my bike and ended up getting the inner shift cable for the front derailleur too tight. On my right hand shifter for the rear, when I push the lever to move the chain down to the smaller rear cogs the shifter just makes a fairly soft click. But when I shift down the front CHAIN RINGS the cable is so tight the shifter is really snappy and kinda sounds two pieces of metal being hitting eachother. So I got my cable way to tight. How do you adjust or reset tension ?
First off put the chain on the big ring on the FD and then put your chain on the RD on the small sprocket. Screw in the screw on the RD then back it out 1 or 2 turns then pull cable just enough to get all the slack out of it. Then use the RD screw to get the cable tight just enough to let it shift good in all the gears. I can do it very easy but trying to tell some one with out them here well it's not that easy to do lol. There is a video here some place do a search for it or some one here can give it to you good luck working on your bicycle.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
I'm sorry, it's the front derailleur cable tension that is too tight.

Possibly Related Threads...