Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Problem with gears jumping
a few days my during an every day drive with my old bike my chain suddenly teared apart, so i went to close bike store and got another one, however the seller there told me that there's a problem with it cause the chain and cassette were crooked and that i should buy a new bike for 1k$ cause mine are finished (by his words).

when I got home and installed it (chain) the bike didn't behave as it used to be gears were jumping without a reason all the time during my ride with the new chain.

so i wanted to get other's people honest opinion regarding what I should do, right now i am considering replacing a cassette, hoping that should do the work and return my old bike to the way it was.

bu the way my bike model is 2003 Schwinn Mesa GS.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2003&Brand=Schwinn&Model=Mesa%20GS&Type=bike
also i wanted to know if its matter if i buy 11/32 or 11/34 cassette?
(08-13-2010, 03:32 PM)igorb12 Wrote:  a few days my during an every day drive with my old bike my chain suddenly teared apart, so i went to close bike store and got another one, however the seller there told me that there's a problem with it cause the chain and cassette were crooked and that i should buy a new bike for 1k$ cause mine are finished (by his words).

when I got home and installed it (chain) the bike didn't behave as it used to be gears were jumping without a reason all the time during my ride with the new chain.

so i wanted to get other's people honest opinion regarding what I should do, right now i am considering replacing a cassette, hoping that should do the work and return my old bike to the way it was.

bu the way my bike model is 2003 Schwinn Mesa GS.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2003&Brand=Schwinn&Model=Mesa%20GS&Type=bike
also i wanted to know if its matter if i buy 11/32 or 11/34 cassette?

Glad you came here because sounds like all you may need is a new cassette/freewheel. Not sure which you have but the seller at the bike shop sounds like he wants you to buy a new bike! I would try to match the same gear ratio with the one you have if you were comfortable. The only difference you have between them is it may be easier to pedal when you use the largest sprocket. Before buying one make sure you know which type of sprocket you have , for example freewheel or cassette here is a link to tell the difference ... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html .
Good luck,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Gears jumping:
- stiff link
- worn chain wheel
- worn cassette
(those are the most common ones, in no particular order)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
you reply helped me a lot on understanding what is going on with my bike,I learned a lot with you reply and found a few video's in this site and at youtube about replacing cassette and freewheel,which as i saw is not so complicated.

I have a couple questions about cassette and derailleur though,
first:my bike original cassette is 8spd 11/32.If I would like to buy a same ratio cassette with 9 spd,would I have to replace the front and back of the old derailleur's to 9psd as well,to match a 9spd cassette?
second:what the difference in 11/32 and 11/32T?

Thank you very very much for you helpfulness!!
If you want to upgrade you will have to replace the rear shifter and the chain. The front dérailleur should be OK, the rear one could be ok, too (give it a try).
Re second: I... don't know? same difference? The only thing that might be different is how big the sprockets in between are.
(08-14-2010, 03:35 PM)igorb12 Wrote:  THANK YOU VERY MUCH
you reply helped me a lot on understanding what is going on with my bike,I learned a lot with you reply and found a few video's in this site and at youtube about replacing cassette and freewheel,which as i saw is not so complicated.

I have a couple questions about cassette and derailleur though,
first:my bike original cassette is 8spd 11/32.If I would like to buy a same ratio cassette with 9 spd,would I have to replace the front and back of the old derailleur's to 9psd as well,to match a 9spd cassette?
second:what the difference in 11/32 and 11/32T?

Thank you very very much for you helpfulness!!

I thought the T just meant teeth.
yes t is teeth, more teeth easier to pedal, good for climbing.

Possibly Related Threads...