Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Power Steering fluid
Anyone have a thought or has used Power steering fluid as an oil for a freewheel?
No. What properties does power steering fluid have that would make it better than regular oil?
(08-15-2010, 03:58 PM)xerxes Wrote:  No. What properties does power steering fluid have that would make it better than regular oil?
Not sure about the properties. I just have 2 bottles on the shelf and was thinking it would be close to the same as a light oil. I tried it on my commutier (82' Raleigh Olympian) a few days ago and seems to work just fine. I'm new to rebuilding and want to make sure I get it right.
power steering fluid is not so much a lubricant but more of a hydraulic fluid.
it might lubricate a some, but dollar for dollar its not what you want to use.
automatic transmission fluid is very similar, but lubricates more.
(or so i have been told)

nuts

(08-15-2010, 04:08 PM)Grandpa Bill Wrote:  
(08-15-2010, 03:58 PM)xerxes Wrote:  No. What properties does power steering fluid have that would make it better than regular oil?
Not sure about the properties. I just have 2 bottles on the shelf and was thinking it would be close to the same as a light oil. I tried it on my commutier (82' Raleigh Olympian) a few days ago and seems to work just fine. I'm new to rebuilding and want to make sure I get it right.