Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newbie's problem
Sorry I have little knowledge please try and translate my laypersons language!
This morning I was enjoying going along in 3,7 gear when I noticed that my gears showed me to be in 2,7, it turned out that I cannot access 1,1 1,2 or 1,3 TODAY......no prob TODAY but I do use the granny gear from time to time as I gotta do hills here and well you know Wink

I got home this evening and manually put the chain onto the gear shown on the gears then went out for a spin fully expecting this to be the end of my problem BUT when I went out for a spin immediately my problem returned???

Any help greatly appreciated I do not know anything but am willing to learn and indeed I would like to try, thanks in advance
After you manually put the chain into one of the gears and went out for a spin, did the gears shift automatically on you?

I wonder if you got a little cable stretch such that the shifters can't move the derailleurs like they once could.
(08-24-2010, 05:40 PM)AndrewB Wrote:  After you manually put the chain into one of the gears and went out for a spin, did the gears shift automatically on you?

I wonder if you got a little cable stretch such that the shifters can't move the derailleurs like they once could.

Hi, I set off in the 2nd gear moved up to 3rd ok, down to 2 and the gear shifted normally but showed 1 so I couldn't go down any further. It didn't slip or anything
It may be that the low setting on the derailleur is at it's limit. Most derailleurs have screws which adjust the limits of how far it can move, and maybe yours is hitting it's limit too early.

Check the videos Alex did about adjusting derailleurs. Often times the screws need little more than a quarter or half turn. So if you do go this route, go slow, and keep trying out screw turns until you get the derailleur working.
(08-25-2010, 12:35 PM)AndrewB Wrote:  It may be that the low setting on the derailleur is at it's limit. Most derailleurs have screws which adjust the limits of how far it can move, and maybe yours is hitting it's limit too early.

Check the videos Alex did about adjusting derailleurs. Often times the screws need little more than a quarter or half turn. So if you do go this route, go slow, and keep trying out screw turns until you get the derailleur working.

Thank you I have just taken a look at a vid and gulped! I am going to clean it again look at it long n hard and then decide whether to take it into a shop for repair!!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Last Post: nfmisso