Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New derailler, but shifter has no SIS barrel adjuster
hi i have just bought a Deore XT shadow RD-M772 GS rear derailleur (foto), to my surprise i found out that the outer casing barrel adjuster has to be on the shifter, but my shifter hasn't got the option to put it front (foto), instead it was directly on the rear of my old Acera RD (foto).

[attachment=1459]

[attachment=1457]

[attachment=1458]

what can i do?
is it possible to put the outer casing barrel adjuster directly on the rear of the shadow RD, even though it is not supposed to be there?
may i put the outer casing barrel adjuster on my old shifter even though it has no place for it?

please help ASAP.
That's unfortunate they didn't put an adjuster on the derailleur. You could install an inline barrel adjuster like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Inline-Adjusters-Black/dp/B0029LKYUY/

[attachment=1463]
there is no option for installing the normal adjuster in front of the shifter?
how well would this inline adjusters work?
wouldn't they easily get disadjusted when riding on a trail with my mtb?
Deore xt is 9 or 10 speed, you have 8?, so not intended for your set up or shifters.
the RD is compatible with 8 or 9 gears, so its no problem if my cassette, shifter and chain are for 8 gears, the problem is with the shifters itself because they dont have place for the barrel adjuster as well as the new RD.

any idea on how i can solve the problem with the barrel adjuster would be appreciated.
(08-28-2010, 01:16 PM)burgidunit Wrote:  the RD is compatible with 8 or 9 gears, so its no problem if my cassette, shifter and chain are for 8 gears, the problem is with the shifters itself because they dont have place for the barrel adjuster as well as the new RD.

any idea on how i can solve the problem with the barrel adjuster would be appreciated.

I hope you are right, but the tech doc here
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/SI_5W70A_005/SI_5W70A_005_En_v1_m56577569830655487.pdf
only says 9 speed, and of course, different shifters to yours.
It may be that the inline adjusters mentioned before will solve your problem, more details can be found here
http://www.jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/mountain/accessories/
what about the jagwire: mickey adjusters or the rocket adjusters?
anyone has tried them not on an STI shimano shifter?
All Shimano rear dérailleurs are compatible with each other. So a 9 will work with 7,8,9, speeds road and MTB rear dérailleurs/shifters.
The front dérailleurs are different between road and MTBs.

The only problem, if there is one, is the width of the cage/ chain. They all have the same "cable pull" requirement. It's the shifters that need to be matched to the "speed" ie. 8 speed cassette = 8 speed shifter.

There is now a compatibility problem, I believe, with the new 10 speed MTB systems?

2 options:-
a) Take the XT mech' back and swap for one with the an adjuster.
or
b) Insert the above barrel adjuster in-line near the shifter.
This will entail removing the inner shift cable and cutting a section from the outer to insert the barrel adjuster. So you would end up with - shifter, short outer section, adjuster, remaining outer.
Then re-insert the inner to RD.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
IMHO if you have splashed out on a Top end RD you may as well buy a set of LX, SLX or XT shifters, a 9 speed cassette and a decent chain, otherwise no point. Adding the XT RD an using old shifters is going to make no difference at all.
(09-13-2010, 05:16 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  There is now a compatibility problem, I believe, with the new 10 speed MTB systems?

Not sure about the 10 Speed MTB systems, but I had a spare 105 Road Triple 10 speed crankset and it shifts fine with 9 speed XT system using a 9 speed chain on my hybrid. But then FD's and chainrings have less exacting tolerances than RD's/cassettes

I think the 10 speed chains pin length (overall chain thickness) is less than the 9 speed and the spacing on 10 speed cassette sprockets is less than the 9 but the bushing thickness is the same. I know from experience that the 10 speed DuraAce RD needs a lot of adjusting when it is installed to get the shifting crisp.
well i have to say i solved the problem with the jagwire rocket adjusters, they fit smoothly into the front shifter and have a nice capability of adjustment.
i also changed the housing and cables and now it shifts like heaven, very good RD, also under stress it shifts very good and i have to say the "hidden" shadow design and GS cage makes him a very a small hidden RD so i hope no stones will cross in my path...
thanks all for the useful help.

Possibly Related Threads...