Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

iPhone Cycling Computer Apps
Currently I have the MotionX GPS app which I use to log my tides but I'm thinking of switching to Cyclemeter GPS Cycling Computer. Does anyone else have this app (or any other GPS app that they really like) and can give me details such as what features they like, battery life, etc?
Live life one century at a time.
To be honest I have an iPhone 4 and have been playing with the free apps and have found two that are free and pretty accurate called "thebike" and another called "bikenic". Both are fairly accurate and allow you to use them without signing up for an account on their websites. I haven't yet because I like to manually keep track of my riding time. As far as GPS devices I'm not to update to date on. Hopefully this helps ya out.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(08-29-2010, 12:00 PM)Kloosty Wrote:  Currently I have the MotionX GPS app which I use to log my tides but I'm thinking of switching to Cyclemeter GPS Cycling Computer. Does anyone else have this app (or any other GPS app that they really like) and can give me details such as what features they like, battery life, etc?

I have Cyclemeter, and I sort of like it: all the features are good, and it's reasonably accurate, but not 100%. On a couple of rides it clocked my Fastest Speed at 102 km/hr - not true! Another time the map showed that I rode across and back the bay next to the bridge, not on it.

Not a bad app, but I recently lashed out & got a Garmin 500, so I don't use it any more.
(08-30-2010, 04:26 PM)Shuncle Wrote:  
(08-29-2010, 12:00 PM)Kloosty Wrote:  Currently I have the MotionX GPS app which I use to log my tides but I'm thinking of switching to Cyclemeter GPS Cycling Computer. Does anyone else have this app (or any other GPS app that they really like) and can give me details such as what features they like, battery life, etc?

I have Cyclemeter, and I sort of like it: all the features are good, and it's reasonably accurate, but not 100%. On a couple of rides it clocked my Fastest Speed at 102 km/hr - not true! Another time the map showed that I rode across and back the bay next to the bridge, not on it.

Not a bad app, but I recently lashed out & got a Garmin 500, so I don't use it any more.

I got Walkmeter about a year ago after trying a few free ones. Its basically Cyclemeter but you can select what activity you are doing. As I walk and cycle it seemed a good option and has been pretty good as far as I can tell. Also the support at Abvio were excellent and very open to ideas!

I've had dedicated bike computers before and I do like the visual display on the bars which I don't get with the phone so I looked into a mount for it. There seems to be many and one in particular looks fantastic but as yet I haven't opted for one as I'm still debating if I would prefer a dedicated unit again.

So I'm currently caught between three options of varying costs...

1. Buy a cheap unit to go on the bike to compliment Cyclemeter. appr $100
2. Getting the mount for the phone. appr $70
3. Just spending up big and getting a Garmin of some sort! $250 +

Decisions decisions!
(03-08-2011, 06:16 PM)The walrus Wrote:  I got Walkmeter about a year ago after trying a few free ones. Its basically Cyclemeter but you can select what activity you are doing. As I walk and cycle it seemed a good option and has been pretty good as far as I can tell. Also the support at Abvio were excellent and very open to ideas!

I've had dedicated bike computers before and I do like the visual display on the bars which I don't get with the phone so I looked into a mount for it. There seems to be many and one in particular looks fantastic but as yet I haven't opted for one as I'm still debating if I would prefer a dedicated unit again.

Decisions decisions!

Dude, you're seriously overspending if those are your prices. You can get a cheap Cateye Vestra Wireless computer for $40 and a company named Velotrac makes an iPhone mount for $30.

I normally just throw my phone in my shirt pocket on rides. The Cyclemeter App will give you updates through your headphones at predetermined intervals (distance or time) so I don't usually bother with my cycle computer. Have to be careful about distance though, the GPS on an iPhone will suck its batteries dry!
(03-08-2011, 07:01 PM)Kloosty Wrote:  
(03-08-2011, 06:16 PM)The walrus Wrote:  I got Walkmeter about a year ago after trying a few free ones. Its basically Cyclemeter but you can select what activity you are doing. As I walk and cycle it seemed a good option and has been pretty good as far as I can tell. Also the support at Abvio were excellent and very open to ideas!

Decisions decisions!

Dude, you're seriously overspending if those are your prices. You can get a cheap Cateye Vestra Wireless computer for $40 and a company named Velotrac makes an iPhone mount for $30.

I normally just throw my phone in my shirt pocket on rides. The Cyclemeter App will give you updates through your headphones at predetermined intervals (distance or time) so I don't usually bother with my cycle computer. Have to be careful about distance though, the GPS on an iPhone will suck its batteries dry!

Hi Mate

They were just rough figures. I can get a bike computer for $1 if I really want to but the only mount I'd get is the bike console and after a quick look I see that's $55. I like the idea of having a visual reference on the bars so might go for a cheap bike comp with the iPhone in the pocket and see how it shapes up.

What kind of headphones do you use? The earplug style don't work for me so looking for something better...that said I don't really use them on the bike...I find it a bit risky!
(03-08-2011, 08:22 PM)The walrus Wrote:  Hi Mate

They were just rough figures. I can get a bike computer for $1 if I really want to but the only mount I'd get is the bike console and after a quick look I see that's $55. I like the idea of having a visual reference on the bars so might go for a cheap bike comp with the iPhone in the pocket and see how it shapes up.

What kind of headphones do you use? The earplug style don't work for me so looking for something better...that said I don't really use them on the bike...I find it a bit risky!

I use the headphones that came with the iPhone. You can use the remote control on the wires to control the Cyclemeter if you want.

I only ride with the right headphone in. I tie the left one off. That way I still have the traffic side ear scanning for the next transport truck to draft behind!
I have to put in my 2cents about MotionX as I have it on my IP4! For an app it is very impressive! I just am not impressed that you have to pay extra per month on for the voice services! For rides it is not exactly geared toward cycling. Now Strava is a free app that logs your rides to a server so you can recall them. It is all automatic as well. As soon as you are done tap end ride and it saves. There are a few more that are pretty good too, one just has to be comfortable with what they want like choosing a bike!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Quote:What kind of headphones do you use? The earplug style don't work for me so looking for something better...that said I don't really use them on the bike...I find it a bit risky!

Unless riding on a closed track that doesn't allow vehicle traffic, headphones and ear buds are very dangerous and are not allowed on charity and sanctioned club rides. I was looking for something that I could use for my long distance rides that allowed me to hear the music and the surrounding sounds without mounting speakers on my handlebars.

There is a guy here in Tampa that has a nifty product that is allowed on all rides because there is nothing in the ear and you can still hear your music and the surrounding sounds, although it isn't meant to be heard at a brain damaging volume . I bought a pair of these speakers at a LBS that is one of his distributors and I absolutely love them. I used them on an MS 150 ride and they worked fantastic. The only draw back is when riding in strong headwinds, the sound is muffled by the wind, but you can still hear the beat. Otherwise, they are great. Here is the link for the Tuck Away Tunes speakers. And no, I don't work for this guy and have never met him, so I don't get any credit for plugging his product.

As far as iPhones for a bike computer, they are fine but are worthless if you hit a dead spot and can't get a GPS signal. The park where I do my riding has several dead spots where the iPhone looses signal and throws the stats off. Just cheaper to get a good bike computer.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Very good point, lol! I really like those as you are 100% correct on safety. I also do use a cyclometer (Bell F-20) along with my iPhone. Guess I should have mentioned that . Personally if I decided to listen to music while riding I would just get me a trainer. My entertainment is Zadey when I ride. When riding to work my entertainment is watching where I am going as well as traffic Wink. Yes I watch traffic to when Zadey and I are on a ride lol.
If anyone's curious, I ended up buying a Garmin Edge 500, with heart rate and cadence sensor. If I had the cash when I bought it, I would have bought the Edge 700, as the maps are quite useful if you like going for long rides on routes you don't know that well.
How is it workin out for you kloosty?
(08-30-2010, 04:26 PM)Shuncle Wrote:  

download Yourspokes and match the speed against Garmin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-30-2022, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Jesper

04-12-2022, 01:55 AM
Last Post: JR Namida

12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Jordan300