Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Spray wd-40 inside bike frame?
Hi all, I've read a few suggestions on the web which say on a steel bike, if you open up your bottom bracket for an overhaul (which I'm about to do), take the chance to spray something (wd-40) into the downtube, chain stays, seat tube to retard interior rust.

Has anyone actually done this? Is there any merit to this treatment? Is it possible to do more harm than good? I understand that there's a specific product called Frame Saver but I don't recall seeing it sold anywhere in my neighbourhood.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know if it would help or not. But one potential harm it could do:

If the WD-40 later drips down in to your BB, it could dissolve the grease in the bearings.

WD-40 is supposed to help break up rust, but I don't think it leaves anything behind to seal the surface or prevent future corrosion. Treating the frame might be a good idea, especially if you're in a moist climate, but I doubt this is the best thing to use.
WD-40 was invented by the three founders of the Rocket Chemical Company in 1953. The company was renamed after its only product, WD-40, in 1969. WD-40 literally stands for water displacement 40th attempt. The engineers were trying to develop a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

I wouldn't use it as you suggest. WD-40 can be used as a solvent which might cause other problems down the road.

Dan...
I think pretty much any form oil or grease will do the job, so long at it adheres to the metal. If you can't find a bike-specific product near you, try the auto store. They should stock some sort of rust prevention product for cars, which should work just as well on bikes.

The most popular such products in Australia are based on fish oil (works well, but can smell fishy) though synthetic substitutes are available.

Cheers,
Adam
I read an article where someone did this to their frame to flush out the rust. If you do this, it was recommended that you let the frame dry out for a few days before reassembly.
83' Schwinn Super Le Tour
84' Schwinn Le Tour Luxe 83' frame
90' Schwinn High Plains
Amazon has Frame Saver.
Nigel
In over 20 years in the bike biz I saw a handful of bikes that had any issues at all due to rust on the main frame members. If you have a high value bike, live near the ocean or where salt is used a lot in the winter you may have to take some measures to protect the bike, otherwise I wouldn's worry about it.

Possibly Related Threads...