Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

To Zip Tie or Not to Zip Tie?
Ok so here is the scoop. So I get this month's Bicycling Magazine and wouldn't ya know there is a picture of a Pinarello on the inside cover with all the cables zip tied in front...

Well, I'm spastic about certain things and frankly the whole cables not being zip tied to my bike has bugged me.

I learned my lesson already with adjusting something that shouldn't have been adjusted (I wont admit tightening the... yeah)...

So then I see this add and I think... "Hey if Bicycle Magazine can do it, why can't I?"...

So the question is... Is using zip ties to secure the cables to the bike an optional practice or is it detrimental to anything? I wouldn't over tighten of course... just strap things down so-to-speak.

Help,
Ryan
Zip ties are very useful. However if you are talking about shifter and brake cables, be careful as excessive bending will increase friction. Keep all bends smooth. Does not your bike have regular cable stays?

Bicycle magazine must publish something, so do not get carried away with all the published to dos.

I got in a lot of trouble in my early motorcycling days fixing things that aint broken just cause a cycle mag wrote it up. :-))

For cycle computer zip away.
Never Give Up!!!
Very well said George! Smile . To put in the only thing I have to add is when I use zipties is when there are no other holders available. Now there are plastic holders when put in a non tensioning and non bending part of the cable it is like a brazed holder, so like George said not to put a bind on the cable.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Rockin advice. Much appreciated.
Good advice above. I used to be in electronics service and never saw zip ties used outside my field until recently. They were intended to keep bundles of wiring organized. When I see a bicycle with zip ties then I think either there are no braze-ons or someone is trying to go the cheap route using zip-ties. They don't look cool to me at all. I don't really know why a magazine would ever recommend them. Just my opinion. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!