Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano 600 Rear Deraileur clicking...
So, here's the deal, overhauling much of my late 80s Trek with Shimano 600s all around (except for a dura ace crank-?? this is how I purchased), learning (or not) as I go. In order to do a thorough cleaning job I dismantled the inner cage plate to expose the idler/tension pulley and the jockey/guide pulley. After piecing back together (also added new chain) there is a clicking noise coming from this general area- only clicks when chain is moving- unable to isolate which pulley it is coming from (read about using a stethoscope??)- makes same noise/intensity from all gears. any ideas?? places to start? anywhere I could find a diagram to assure correct assembly of pulleys? much appreciated, plan B is to hang my head and go to a bike shop
Hi there, isn't the clicking noise coming from chain? The new chain could have a stiff link
Have a look at this: stiff-chain-link tutorial
(09-14-2010, 03:31 AM)rockyraccoon Wrote:  Hi there, isn't the clicking noise coming from chain? The new chain could have a stiff link
Have a look at this: stiff-chain-link tutorial

I checked EVERY link a couple times manually for stiff links (replaced chain b/c of a stiff link in the 1st place!).
The clicking is CONSTANT. When I had the previous stiff link it simply would change my gears momentarily when I would pedal hard (common response according to the research I did). I'll check your link, thanks!
Any other ideas?
Check that the top jockey wheel isn't too close to the cassette.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(09-15-2010, 01:20 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Check that the top jockey wheel isn't too close to the cassette.

Im almost certain that is the case. Hoping to find another solution that doesn't entail me dismantling bike... Oh well, know where I could get a schematic for shimano 600 rear derailler??? I want to make sure I assemble it correctly.. Thanks for the insight!!
(09-15-2010, 03:39 PM)runnernotabiker Wrote:  ... Oh well, know where I could get a schematic for shimano 600 rear derailler??? ...

Have a look at these M600 and C600

source Shimano Tech Documents
Thanks for all your assistance! Apparently the sound of the chain through the pulleys was normal (per the bike shop dude). Doesn't matter anyways, on my 2nd voyage to work the chain seized while making a left turn- had to crank b/c semi truck coming- ended up demolishing my rear derailleur and bike frame (where the bike frame attaches to rear derailleur). Back to square one, prob convert to a fixie...
sorry to hear your misfortune. is it the frame itself or the derailer hanger(bolt on) thats trashed? ive straitened dropouts/hangers with patience and a well-placed pipe wrench. were not thru with you yet, sunshine! theres gotta be a way to fix it!
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
the frame itself is bent inward- the wheel can still go safely on. I removed the mangled rear derailleur and it looks as if the area where the derailleur would screw to the bike frame is bent too... so I'm SOL huh? I could post a pic of the derailleur but I know it's garbage. Think the frame is salvageable?

Also, any ideas why this could have possibly happened?? I rode the bike twice and actually felt the chain seize/gear shift momentarily (like it did previously with old chain that had a stiff link- that's why i replaced it in the 1st place....), it would occur while I was pushing the pedals hard, out of a turn or at a light. Could it had been the new chain? rear derailleur not adjusted?? I'm lost. Like I said, probably convert to a fixie- is it worth turning a '89 Trek 1500 into a fixie?
So I solved this problem. Not really a bike guy, so forgive my lack of terminology. I have a Shimano 600 rear derailieur on a vintage Nishiki. Same think. The cog was pushing on the chain, making the dreaded noise. BUT, there's no "B-screw" to adjust on the Shimano 600 to pull it away. It's an old construction, and what I realized is that the bolt that secures the entire derailieur to the frame is spring-loaded. There's a metal prong that's supposed to fit into this plate with a lip on it. Again, you gotta load the spring as you're tightening down, but if you do this correctly, the entire derailieur is held far enough away from the cassette that the cog does not push on the chain anymore.

(09-15-2010, 03:39 PM)runnernotabiker Wrote:  
(09-15-2010, 01:20 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Check that the top jockey wheel isn't too close to the cassette.

Im almost certain that is the case. Hoping to find another solution that doesn't entail me dismantling bike... Oh well, know where I could get a schematic for shimano 600 rear derailler??? I want to make sure I assemble it correctly.. Thanks for the insight!!

Possibly Related Threads...