Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Shimano 105 8 sp shifter
(09-25-2010, 03:11 AM)JonathanSG Wrote:  My 2 pennies worth is that this Shimano 7/8/9 speed incompatibility is a sales pitch they are compatible and I have mixed and matched and never noticed any degradation in performance. I have heard that the 10 speed rear stuff isn't compatible with 7/8/9 but haven't tried. All you need to do is make sure that the cassette has the same number of sprockets as the indexes on the shifter.

I am not sure how economical it would be to refurbish a shifter as I am pretty sure you can't buy individual mechanical components new and how long will the things last anyway.

If the chain and rear sprocket are in good condition just buy new 8 speed shifters BTW I think the 2200 are now 2300's. You can upgrade to Tiagra shifters with 9 speed cassette and 7/8/9 Speed chain, no need to change RD or FD.

I have a 16 speed and have been wondering about upgrades. Mine is far from worn just want to replace low end shimano with better.
Can you put different speed rated derailiers F/R with little problem or does this just not work?
Quote:I have a 16 speed and have been wondering about upgrades. Mine is far from worn just want to replace low end shimano with better.
Can you put different speed rated derailiers F/R with little problem or does this just not work?

What low end Shimano are you trying to replace? Older FD and RD will work with one or two speeds more without a problem. It is possible to use a 7 speed RD with 10. I doubt I would try it with your FD as shifting will suffer since the cage is wider on 7 and shifting will suffer. 7/8 speed chains are the same width, 9 are narrower and 10 is narrower still.
(02-01-2011, 03:39 PM)eeforme Wrote:  
Quote:I have a 16 speed and have been wondering about upgrades. Mine is far from worn just want to replace low end shimano with better.

What low end Shimano are you trying to replace? Older FD and RD will work with one or two speeds more without a problem. It is possible to use a 7 speed RD with 10. I doubt I would try it with your FD as shifting will suffer since the cage is wider on 7 and shifting will suffer. 7/8 speed chains are the same width, 9 are narrower and 10 is narrower still.

Will run what i have for awhile yet as its very new but i will have to decide in awhile to either upgrade to a more expensive better bike or change group set.

Did not know about chain width makes sense.

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads...