Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

I have this problem with a NOISE....
emanating from my Bicycle when I ride it - it's driving me nuts!:mad:

Ok, a few details:

Ti Frame, 3yrs old, Campy Record 10 speed groupset.
The noise is like a creak / high pitch ping / tick sort of, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the BB area, drive side crank. Noticeable on the down stroke between 6 and 7 o'clock, especially with plenty of load on or climbing out of the saddle.

I am reasonably proficient with some aspects of bicycle mechanics and have the tools to work on my machines.

What I've done over the last 2 weeks to try and sus this out:

* Remove both pedals, remove both cranks, remove bearing cups - clean entire area with Acetone, dry, re-grease with Phil grease, reassemble. Noise still there.
* Remove parts as above, remove both bearings from cranks, inspect, clean, re-apply grease, reassemble. Noise still there.
*As above but remove Bearings from a Chorus Compact Crank Set that has only seen minimal mileage and swap out with my Record Crank Set, reassemble...yip, Noise still there.
*I've tried another rear wheel, swapped out the cassette - no change!
*Thought it could be the chainring bolts, but they are on so tight that I have left them alone.

OK - couple of thoughts - My torque wrench will not go beyond 30Nm - the connecting bolt to lock in both crank arms requires 40Nm - is it possible that I have over tightened this and am squeezing the bearings together??

I know that quite often "Noise" heard on the bike actually turns out to come from somewhere completely different from what you think.....any suggestions for a solution to this? I'd love to solve the problem myself rather than trudge into the LBSWink

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered.Big Grin
perhaps its from the headset and you subconsciously apply force to it while pedaling hard? just a thought as youve checked most everything else.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
I had a tick tick that was happening when cranking hard it turned out to be from the springs in the clip pedals and worn shoe clips a clean, a bit of grease and new shoe clips, sorted this out.
Took ages to track down sounded as if it was coming from the BB
I had a noise last year that had the local bike shop baffled, and me too.
To make a long story short, it was my pant cuff clicking on a spoke, ever so lightly but making an odd sound that no one suspected.
OK - thanks for the replies.

I'm gonna focus on the pedals and cleats and see where that gets me.

I'll report back.
Cheers.
Well if you read above it was his Pant leg
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Gents - sorry for the delay in getting back...

Since posting I have removed the rear Mech, cleaned, re-greased and re-assembled.
I received some good advice / options from another forum and heavily re-greased the Hirth connection and bearings.....

Noise went away for about 5 rides and I was pretty happy with my work, then low and behold, it has crept back in.....

I got a PM from a guy who linked through to a site called "The Rogue Mechanic" - check it out. He goes into quite a bit of detail about the shortcomings of the Campy Ultra Torque design.....long story short, I have installed a 2nd wavy washer on the non-drive side (yesterday) and will ride like a villain all weekend and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for the interest.
[b]UPDATE!!

OK, installed new wavy washer, cleaned and re-greased bearings, Hirth join and bearing cups - reinstalled.....rode yesterday morn with my Bunch and low and behold that faaarken noise is still there!!!

Pretty gutted actually, but will press on for a solution. One of the guys riding with us is the Mechanic at the best LBS in town - trying to avoid taking the bike in to them as I have invested a bit in my bike knowledge / tools etc.
When we stopped for a piss I asked him about this noise......I explained what I had done so far and he said it WONT be the BB shell or area then!!??
OK then what?? whilst riding I rode along side him and let him listen to the noise.......he reckons it is the rear wheel hub, the spokes or that the skewers are too tight / loose?
Checked the spokes last night, they are all tensioned similar reading....will swap out the wheel or my race wheel and see if there is any difference.

Will keep you updated.
Cheers.