Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What is the best type of bike rack?
Hi! I just want to ask if what type of bike rack will best suit for my Ford Focus? I just had my first car and been on cycling for years before having my own car and I still want to take my bike wherever I go since I'm used to cycling a lot. I want a type of bike rack that can be used for different types of car as well. Thanks!
define "best". Best for what: not getting stolen, holding your bike without damage; not damaging your car,......

when I had a Neon, I had a bike rack that attached to the trunk lid - worked well, held my two bikes securely. Never had any problems, but it would have been very easy to cut the straps, and steal the rack with the bikes on it.

sold that rack, as it would not fit on a vehicle without a trunk, for our Jeep, we have one that attaches to the spare tire, works well, and we wrap a cable lock around it, and lock up the bikes too.

what is your budget? look at Amazon for lots of different options - within your budget.
Nigel
(10-03-2010, 10:18 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  define "best". Best for what: not getting stolen, holding your bike without damage; not damaging your car,......

when I had a Neon, I had a bike rack that attached to the trunk lid - worked well, held my two bikes securely. Never had any problems, but it would have been very easy to cut the straps, and steal the rack with the bikes on it.

sold that rack, as it would not fit on a vehicle without a trunk, for our Jeep, we have one that attaches to the spare tire, works well, and we wrap a cable lock around it, and lock up the bikes too.

what is your budget? look at Amazon for lots of different options - within your budget.

i guess best in terms of everything. i mean the type that will offer protection from damage, and thieves of course.

my budget is around $100 to $200. can i find a decent trunk bike rack? i'll look in Amazon.. thanks nfmisso..
I too have a rack that hangs on a spare tire and has two straps that attach to the bumper, or hook cutouts in the tail section. Its by Allen and it works great. I take it off and put it in my car when I take my bike off. I added some foam rubber pipe padding to it from plumbing store.

Having had a bike stolen I do not leave my bikes out of sight , ever.

Yes to check online and read buyers comments. Thats how I got mine.

In todays LA Times Health section they review two trunk racks you may want to look at.

Hollywood Racks Express $65, and a pricier Saris Bones 3 $ 160.
Never Give Up!!!
(10-04-2010, 02:44 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  I too have a rack that hangs on a spare tire and has two straps that attach to the bumper, or hook cutouts in the tail section. Its by Allen and it works great. I take it off and put it in my car when I take my bike off. I added some foam rubber pipe padding to it from plumbing store.

Having had a bike stolen I do not leave my bikes out of sight , ever.

Yes to check online and read buyers comments. Thats how I got mine.

In todays LA Times Health section they review two trunk racks you may want to look at.

Hollywood Racks Express $65, and a pricier Saris Bones 3 $ 160.

hi! i initially wanted to buy a trunk rack but i've read so many reviews that trunk racks have the tendency to toast the bikes attached to it. is this true? now im thinking about getting a hitch rack instead.. i've read reviews as well that roof racks are bulkier and can add up to the gas mileage so that's a big con.

thanks!
No Idea what "toast Bike " means. Hitch rack means having to get a heavy duty hitch first , thats expensive. Trunk mounts work fine .

Yes roof racks are bulky, create drag and putting the bike on the roof is a lot more work. I do not feel comfortable with one of those.
Never Give Up!!!
(10-05-2010, 02:10 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  No Idea what "toast Bike " means. Hitch rack means having to get a heavy duty hitch first , thats expensive. Trunk mounts work fine .

Yes roof racks are bulky, create drag and putting the bike on the roof is a lot more work. I do not feel comfortable with one of those.

I have no idea what they mean about toasting the bikes as well. I've just read it from another forum that if i'll use hitch rack, my bike is a toast. does that mean that my bike will be burned or something?
I would recommend a roof mount for you because it is a great option and can be used on all kinds of cars. You will see it is easy to install and can transport you bike anywhere. Happy riding and good luck I would check out the line of bike racks here http://bikeracksforcars.us
You can go with either a roof/cargo carrier or go with the bumper bike rack extensions. There's a whole bunch of racks from 2-bike storage to 4-bike storage on this site: http://www.crofttrailer.com/bike-racks/

Hope you've found a bike rack and if not, good luck with the search!
I'm looking at a hitch rack for my Sonata. I had a roof rack but didn't like its fit and no matter how careful I tried to be there were always tiny scratches where the rack attached. I think with the hitch type it will be so much easier to throw the bikes on and get going
Roof mount racks are great IF you happen to be tall/strong enough to mount them there easily. Once had a travelling partner 6'4" and we had our bikes up there for thousands of highway and logging road miles in all kinds of weather in the Pacific NW, wind, rain, scorchers, rain, fog, wind, sleet, you name it. Did I say wind? Bike stays pretty clean if only a little buggy depending on climate. Did not notice increased fuel consumption but hey it was on top of a vintage Dodge Dart 4 banger. Yakima rack. Trusted my bike to it but would never consider having one of my own, too short and not enough upper body strength to lift the bikes up there.

Trunk mount racks are ok. I've had a couple. Blackburn I think is the one I liked best, because the straps tied down taut and it was sturdy and around $50. At the time that was a fortune to me. Don't go cheap, go sturdy. Whatever you do, don't go cheap.

Bike gets toasted riding on the back of the car like that. Road grime backwashes from under the car and you get to your venue with a puke filthy bike if the weather was bad. So that's what 'bike gets toasted' means from the above post.

Just bought a Yakima hitch mount and haven't had time to try it yet. Was a rather impulsive buy, but because I have a nicer car now and don't want to chance the trunk mount, also because I want to be able to access the trunk without deconstructing the bike mount system. I am trying the hitch mount this weekend, having seen one on several cars I'm wondering if my bikes are going to ride too high and be blocking the rear view. On the other hand that could be good because then you can always look back there and see the bikes are still on. And maybe mounted up higher the bikes won't get toasted so bad.

My two cents worth of experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-02-2021, 06:18 PM
Last Post: A Rainey

08-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Last Post: maestro489

09-22-2013, 11:56 AM