Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Patching spandex?
Took a bad spill during the tour de poway century on sunday...had to buy a new helmet at mile 50. Good thing i crashed right in front of a sport chalet Smile However, my brand new bib shorts also took some damage. Anyone ever try patching spandex shorts? Any tips on material choice or sewing technique?

-Dave
I actually remembered this post when I was was at my mother-in-laws earlier today. She said that if you have any Lycra or Spandex your not using, you can cut some material and so it into the inside of the garment and it will work pretty well.
I ended up taking them into a tailors shop, and they're only charging me $10. Haven't gotten them back yet, but I'm expecting good things.

Thanks for the reply!
Wow never that spandex could be fixed like that so I'll definitely remember this thank Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Be sure to let us know how they come out. I have a pair that is getting there.
I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. My only gripe is that I asked for the patch to be on the inside and the seam on the outside so it's a little less visible, but they did top notch work so I can't complain too loudly. It could be because some of the holes were under the chamois and they had to sew through part of it. Anyway, just did a ride in these and couldn't feel anything awry, so the $10 they charged me was definitely worth it!