Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Changing 3 gear chainring to single gear
I would like to remove the chainring off a 15 speed specialized bike and replace it with a single 44 tooth gear. What is the best way to do this?Do I just replace the center gear with a 44 tooth and leave it on that gear or can i purchase a holder to attach a single 44 tooth sprocket to have only one single gear in the front.

thanks,
Larry
Can you post a pic of your bicycle that will help us help you better. But there is always a way to do it.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Yeah a picture would help us, are your planning on doing a full Single Speed Conversion? Or are you just wanting to make it a 1x9?
If the chainrings on your crank are bolted on, you should be able to get a single 44 tooth chainring and mount it in the middle position. If the chainrings are welded on, you either change the crank or cut off the extra rings (or jsut leave them there unused).

It mainly comes down to how important the look is to you. If you get a single chainring crank you may also need to change bottom brackets to get the chainline right, but not always.
(01-10-2010, 08:12 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Yeah a picture would help us, are your planning on doing a full Single Speed Conversion? Or are you just wanting to make it a 1x9?

I will be able to take some pictures this weekend. I want to install only one front 44 tooth gear and keep the rear 6 gear casette. This is for a e-bike conversion. The bike is an older model Specialized.
Post a pic and I'd be glad to help.
(01-10-2010, 01:59 PM)flyguy_helo Wrote:  "I would like to remove the chainring off a 15 speed specialized bike and replace it with a single 44 tooth gear......."

Larry!

Yes, that is one way to go! Ive done this with both 5 and 7 speed clusters and it works great!

What you do want to make sure of is the chain line from back to front. Make sure your front chainring is in line with the middle cog on the rear cluster. This will ensure you will be able to shift up and down with out dropping the chain in front.

You may have to insert a spacer/washer between the chainring and crank spider to get the chain line right. Something else to consider may be to add a chain guide in the front.

Cheers!!
Bones heal and chicks dig scars!

Possibly Related Threads...