Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Price on bike and intro
Howdy all

I've been riding for about 3months now. I ride anywhere from 15 to 30 miles a day five days a week. Mostly on sand roads some trails and a little blacktop. Right now I have a walmart special which brings me to yawls great site. I have the chance to buy a used but like new 2006 or 2007 Gary Fisher Marlin for $250.00 does that price sound fair and is it a good bike for what I do. I think it's a 06 as the color is purple. I want to get a better bike as I do enjoy riding alot. I may do more trails but mostly riding on sand roads that are hilly. But I don't want to break the bank as I have four kids. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Used prices are always a little tricky, how "used" is it? If it's seen a lot of hard miles it may be that some of the components are on their last legs, on the other hand if it's essentially just been sitting around in the shed for 3 years it might be a good buy.

Here's a review: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/marlin-disc-8971
If you able to post a good picture we could eyeball it for you. Sounds like you're putting in the miles. You deserve a good bike. Does it have disc brakes? Is it all stock parts?
(10-20-2010, 11:49 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  If you able to post a good picture we could eyeball it for you. Sounds like you're putting in the miles. You deserve a good bike. Does it have disc brakes? Is it all stock parts?

Thanks fellas for the reply. It is still stock and the bike is in like new condition. Heres a link with some pictures I hope it works. http://cbarn.es/fwGp I don't know how to set the link up to just click on it but if you copy it and paste it in he browser thingy it should work.

Thanks ,Mike
I doubt if it has done more than a hundred miles, it's still got the little mold knobbles on the tyres. Can you take it for a short test ride? If so, take it for a quick spin around the block and if you like it, I'd say go for it. The pump, little saddle bag and bottles would probably set you back $40 or $50 new, so if they're included it's an even better buy.
(10-21-2010, 04:34 PM)xerxes Wrote:  I doubt if it has done more than a hundred miles, it's still got the little mold knobbles on the tyres. Can you take it for a short test ride? If so, take it for a quick spin around the block and if you like it, I'd say go for it. The pump, little saddle bag and bottles would probably set you back $40 or $50 new, so if they're included it's an even better buy.

Thanks for the reply

I'm driving up in the morning to try it out (4hrs round trip). So I figure another 30 to 40 dollars in gas. All the stuff comes with it. I'm hoping it works out. I called a bike shop today to see what a comparable bike would cost. They said around 700.00 so I figure this is a pretty good deal as the bike looks fairly new still. I've been reading quite a few reviews on it and everyone seems pleased with it as a whole. I hope it works out and hopefully I can ride tomorrow evening when I get home.

Thanks again, Mike
Let us know how you get on and even though it's probably a fair price, you could still try haggling. If you like the bike, offer $200 in cash and see what he says. I got 15% off the last car I bought when I offered to pay cash right there and then. Smile
Howdy everyone

I wound up guying the Fisher bike. And all I can say is wow what a difference between it and the wallyworld bike. For starters it weighs probably half as much and it shifts a lot nicer. It's just a more comfortable feeling bike all a around. I've just rode about half a mile due to my wife having to go somewhere and me having to babysit. But hopefully when she gets back I can go on a 15 to 20 mile ride to really see how it does. And I think I'll ride to work in the morning it's only 10 miles but I'm pretty stoked about riding it. Now if I can just the clip less pedals and shoes I'll be set.

Mike
(10-22-2010, 05:33 PM)rawhide1 Wrote:  Howdy everyone

I wound up buying the Fisher bike. It looked brand new so how could I pass it up. And all I can say is wow what a difference between it and the wallyworld bike. For starters it weighs probably half as much and it shifts a lot nicer. It's just a more comfortable feeling bike all a around. I've just rode about half a mile due to my wife having to go somewhere and me having to babysit. But hopefully when she gets back I can go on a 15 to 20 mile ride to really see how it does. And I think I'll ride to work in the morning it's only 10 miles but I'm pretty stoked about riding it. Now if I can just the clip less pedals and shoes I'll be set.

Mike
(10-22-2010, 05:33 PM)rawhide1 Wrote:  wow what a difference between it and the wallyworld bike.

Smile

I think you've just discovered the difference between a bicycle and a BSO.

BSO:

http://www.whycycle.co.uk/buying_your_bike/beware_the_bicycle_shaped_object/

http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/articles.asp?article=NO_BSO

http://commutebybike.com/2007/03/30/commuting-101-bike-shaped-objects/

Lots more: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=bicycle+shaped+object&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=bicycle+sha&gs_rfai=&fp=e3afc67a808f569d
In my humble view... ANYTHING "Gary Fisher" is good ! ;-)

$250 for a '06, '07 bike ???

I'd grab it in a second !
Gas sucks... Ride a bike
Yawl are probably getting tired of hearing about my bike. But I rode it last night for about 16 miles and I was blown away by it for the reasons stated earlier. I was able to knock about 15min off of my previous time. So I decided to ride in to work this morning. And even though it had rained during the night and the roads where a mucky mess and the wind was blowing like hell out of the SW and I had to stop and feed my ma in-laws dogs. I still knocked about 7min off of my previous time. So I am just happy as heck that I spent the money on this bike. I look forward to visiting this site more in the future especially when I'm ready to start upgrading parts. I want to Thank everyone for their input.

Mike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-05-2013, 02:00 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF

05-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Last Post: jaykoo511