Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bearing size?
how common are the 3/16 inch bearings on the front?
The quieter you become the more you are able to hear
I'm not sure, what make and model hubs do you have and is there any information on their website? I know you can find all the technical documents and service manuals on Shimano's and SRAM's sites.
Before the advent of MTB's, this was the standard and is still used if the axle size is 5/16", if the axle is 3/8" or 10mm, (or sometimes 9mm. on the front) they are probably 1/4", although some bmx's use 7/32".
I don't know if it helps but it is from like 2000ish and a cheap mountan bike
(10-22-2010, 03:10 PM)nd456 Wrote:  I don't know if it helps but it is from like 2000ish and a cheap mountan bike

Very likely 10x 3/16" per side, 20 balls in the front wheel.

Rear wheel is likely 9x 1/4" per side, 18 ball in the rear wheel.
Nigel
Well I took it apart and found that it had bearings in a cage instead of being loose
Weird
Ye I see you said cheap Mt Bike. I think that to reduce assembly costs caged bearings were used. I found that on one of my recently acquired bikes. I replaced the caged bearings with loose bearings providing a larger rolling surface and less friction.

Bike stores have a bearing gauge, find the appropriate size and replace with loose bearings. Use lots of grease to hold bearings in place while you reassemble.
Never Give Up!!!
(10-26-2010, 10:17 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  . . . Bike stores have a bearing gauge, find the appropriate size and replace with loose bearings. Use lots of grease to hold bearings in place while you reassemble.

Hardware store too! Last time I went to a bike shop for bearings, they didn't have the size I needed and said, ". . . just go next door to the hardware. That's where we get ours."

Turns out the hardware store was cheaper too. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Now thats interesting I'll have to check. I get lots of nuts, bolts and o-rings in the hardware store.

Bikes use so many different threads I tried to get axle nuts and could not find the right thread.Than I went to bikerowave a do it yourself shop with boxes of old parts. Could not find right axle nuts in a whole box of them. WOW.

Also seal and bearing stores are becoming rare, I could not find one locally.Ye if it breaks throw it away. shees...
Never Give Up!!!
thanks guys i got it back together and it works great i left the cage because it's my crap bike
Cage bearings are crap and will pit out your races. whenever you find these, instantly get rid of. Bearing stores are way more dependable than a bike shop. But like you say, if there even found. Bike shops carry only certain bearing, loose, sealed, sizes. Good luck. Luck of the draw. Theres a great tool called a thread gauge. Takes the guessing game out of trying to figure out what thread your dealing with. Some hardware stores carry them. SOME hardware stores.
GO RIDE...

Possibly Related Threads...