Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Touring Bike and Intro
Hello everyone,
Just thought I'd pop in to say that I love this website and the forums. I recently have gotten into cycling, and now I'm interested in how they work. Basically I found my mother's old 1975 Concord Freedom 10 in the basement, paid for a tune up, and have been riding it for about 4 months. I'm planning on taking off time from college to work a little bit and think about what I want to do in life. Sometime during this break, I want to make a cross country bike ride. This seems daunting but if I get the right bike and learn how to do a few things with it, I think I can do it.

My question is this... if you had a budget of ~1500$, which touring bike would you choose for a cross country trip? I will also be using this bike for many other things (commuting,fitness,etc.) so I'm willing to invest a good amount of money into it.

Looking forward to learning a lot from these forums!
This might give you a few ideas of what's about at what price:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/touring-bike/PLS_5675crx.aspx

Here too: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/1?orderby=highestrated&results=12&brand=&pricerange=&_brc=

Check out Surly's Surly as well: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-1881.html
Thank you very much.
Hi Tim;

For a journey as you plan; I would consider the following factors:
  • easy for you to repair
  • strong wheels - it is worth spening a large percentage of your budget on a custom set of wheels
  • choose tires that are tough, they will be heavier, but it is worth having fewer flats
  • fenders
  • racks
  • strong brakes - V-brakes
  • lights
  • seat that works for you - see Sheldon Brown's discussion

I only commute 12 miles each way, and these are things that I worry about.
Nigel
(10-27-2010, 09:29 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Hi Tim;

For a journey as you plan; I would consider the following factors:
  • easy for you to repair
  • strong wheels - it is worth spening a large percentage of your budget on a custom set of wheels
  • choose tires that are tough, they will be heavier, but it is worth having fewer flats
  • fenders
  • racks
  • strong brakes - V-brakes
  • lights
  • seat that works for you - see Sheldon Brown's discussion

I only commute 12 miles each way, and these are things that I worry about.

I also have a 2008 Fuji Touring bike and agree with the above and have up graded my wheels to Mavic A-719 and they work great. Also have the SKS fenders and I only ride Bontrager Hardcase race lite 700X32 they work great for me.The tires on the bike now have a little over 3,00 miles and show no sign of wearing out just yet. Smile

Remember it's mind over matter
if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more drive less
I imagine that if you're buying a new bicycle for $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 the wheels will be pretty good to start with. Also, much of a wheels strength comes from how well it's built, although spoke guage and rim strength will of course have some effect.

If you're really worried about wheel strength, go for a tourer equipped with 26" wheels, these are inherently stronger than larger 29" and 700c wheels and there is also be more tyre choice, from skinny slicks to 2", or wider, off-road tyres. 26" tyres are also available all over the world, whereas 700c tyres might be hard to find in some remote parts, not a problem in Europe and the US, but if you're ever planning a trip in South America or Sub-Saharan Africa, 26" wheels would be a better choice. Smile

I like the Fuji by the way, is that retro-reflective tape you have on it?
I have the Surly LHT I have to much into it lol But it's going to take me to Bangor Maine in 2011 Hope to leave out on April 1 or May 1 of 2011.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(10-28-2010, 08:54 AM)xerxes Wrote:  I imagine that if you're buying a new bicycle for $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 the wheels will be pretty good to start with. Also, much of a wheels strength comes from how well it's built, although spoke guage and rim strength will of course have some effect.

If you're really worried about wheel strength, go for a tourer equipped with 26" wheels, these are inherently stronger than larger 29" and 700c wheels and there is also be more tyre choice, from skinny slicks to 2", or wider, off-road tyres. 26" tyres are also available all over the world, whereas 700c tyres might be hard to find in some remote parts, not a problem in Europe and the US, but if you're ever planning a trip in South America or Sub-Saharan Africa, 26" wheels would be a better choice. Smile

3M reflective tape it works really well.
(10-28-2010, 04:07 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  I have the Surly LHT I have to much into it lol But it's going to take me to Bangor Maine in 2011 Hope to leave out on April 1 or May 1 of 2011.

Are you doing the Atlantic Coast ride?
Was thinking of doing this myself.
Where are starting from?

Remember it's mind over matter
if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more drive less
(10-29-2010, 07:22 AM)ezdoesit Wrote:  3M reflective tape it works really well.

I have some on my "town bike" that I often ride when it's dark, but not quite that much. Smile
Hey guys, thanks for the info! Seriously I've been eating this up, and I really appreciate it. I've started looking at the Cannondale Touring2, http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/2009/Recreation/Touring/Details/1648-8TR2-Touring-2 It fits right into my price range and seems to be a strong touring bike
The only thing that would put me off is the aluminium frame, personally I would prefer steel for touring frame, most manufacturers seem to as well, Cannondale is a bit of an odd one out in that respect.
With that amount of money to put in to a cross country bike? Hehe I'd definitely have the best shop or place of where you get it makes sure they set you up with the best top notch accessories and bike!! I mean name of manufacturer, model, and size is EVERYTHING! Shop around and dont just settle for one until you are completely 100 percent sure! If you know anyone else that has the same style asked them to give it a test ride. Just my input.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(10-29-2010, 07:22 AM)ezdoesit Wrote:  
(10-28-2010, 08:54 AM)xerxes Wrote:  I imagine that if you're buying a new bicycle for $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 the wheels will be pretty good to start with. Also, much of a wheels strength comes from how well it's built, although spoke guage and rim strength will of course have some effect.

3M reflective tape it works really well.
(10-28-2010, 04:07 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  I have the Surly LHT I have to much into it lol But it's going to take me to Bangor Maine in 2011 Hope to leave out on April 1 or May 1 of 2011.

Are you doing the Atlantic Coast ride?
Was thinking of doing this myself.
Where are starting from?

I am in Arkansas/little Rock and will leave from my home. It's going to be a long trip but its going to be fun at times and hell too. Weather will be cold in some states and rain you bet I will hit that too. If you want to take a look at my ride let me know. I have pics of it here just not sure witch one I have here but can upload more I have added a few items to my ride as well.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-12-2021, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Jesper

02-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

11-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Jesper