Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

I think ive found the perfect lube....
.....SINGER SEWING MACHINE OIL,

Thats right the stuff made for sewing machines,i picked up a tin of this from a sewing shop for £2.20,Ive tested this for a period of 3 months on my chain, cables, derailers and brake pivots,i also use this stuff for cleaning my rims heres the pros & cons:

Pros:
Cheap
Effective
Doesn't pick up as much dust as other lubricants
Comes in a easy applicator

Cons:
Not entirely water resistant*

*If riding in wet conditions i recommend applying this every 2 days or so to exposed parts.

If anyone has had experience with this let me know of your results.
You use oil to "clean" your rims?
Ye another case of Darwin's theory at work.

Do not need no stinking brakes, unless its a coaster brake bike and if it has derailers thats unlikely:-))
Never Give Up!!!
(10-25-2010, 12:34 AM)DaveM Wrote:  You use oil to "clean" your rims?

yes,not the walls of the rims though

(10-25-2010, 03:47 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Ye another case of Darwin's theory at work.

Do not need no stinking brakes, unless its a coaster brake bike and if it has derailers thats unlikely:-))

?,i have brakes
(10-25-2010, 05:42 PM)mattyts Wrote:  ?,i have brakes

I think George's point (though not expressed in a very helpful way) was that you could compromise the brakes' performance if there is any oil on the braking surface. If you're careful, no harm. Remember though that the centrifical force as the wheels spin can spread stuff out onto the sidewalls. I learned that the hard way after over oiling my spoke nipples.

But for rims, I prefer a cleaner like rubbing alcohol that will leave no residue. Even standard cleaners like simple green, windex, etc. tend to leave some soapy residue that hurts braking.
(10-25-2010, 05:51 PM)DaveM Wrote:  
(10-25-2010, 05:42 PM)mattyts Wrote:  ?,i have brakes

I think George's point (though not expressed in a very helpful way) was that you could compromise the brakes' performance if there is any oil on the braking surface. If you're careful, no harm. Remember though that the centrifical force as the wheels spin can spread stuff out onto the sidewalls. I learned that the hard way after over oiling my spoke nipples.

But for rims, I prefer a cleaner like rubbing alcohol that will leave no residue. Even standard cleaners like simple green, windex, etc. tend to leave some soapy residue that hurts braking.

i oil my spokes from the inside of my rim, the oil tends to seep through
Hey lighten up Dave. Its all very funny.

AND in case no one got it , do not oil the braking surface of your wheels or you will not stop.

Clean with a 0000 steel wool if chrome( Flitz or Semichrome polish is nice ), fine brass steel if alloy(preferred) and wipe with an evaporative cleaner that does not leave residue. Alcohol is OK, there are others that are better like mineral spirits .
Do not know whats available in the land of the British pound.

BTW I Just trued my wheels and I used a toothpick dipped in Liquid Wrench penetrating oil to lightly wet the spoke threads at the nipples, osmosis did the rest.
Never Give Up!!!
(10-25-2010, 09:00 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  osmosis did the rest.

Oh no it didn't, that's capillary action. Tongue

Osmosis is something quite different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis
xerxes you are absolutely correct. Osmosis is a whole different thing, if my science lab memory is correct it is absorption through a membrane.

Man semantics. Ye capillary action thats the ticket.:-)))
Never Give Up!!!
Yes you are all correct, if you ride bmxes like me you don't have to worry about brakes since you haven't got any!
(10-29-2010, 03:11 AM)stephenwilks Wrote:  
(10-24-2010, 01:33 PM)mattyts Wrote:  .....SINGER SEWING MACHINE OIL,

Thats right the stuff made for sewing machines,i picked up a tin of this from a sewing shop for £2.20

Interesting. I seem to remember using it back in the early 1960s. The original cans always had a bicycle icon on them, and it was sold in the local bike accessories shop. On my low-tech (non-competitive) wheels, I currently use what's left in the (new) can after the oil change on my pick-up. I've seen Singer Oil on sale here recently, but suspect that unless you buy it from Singer shops (they still exist here) you are probably getting some fake stuff from the PRC.

Seems that it still 'claims' to be usable for bikes, although it is no longer in the nice old-fashioned metal can:
http://elitesewingmachines.co.uk/images/Singer_Oil.JPG

I sometimes also used to use the original 3-in-1 oil in a similar metal can:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/3in1oil.jpg

I also used to use 3 in 1, smelled like citronnella i think
(10-29-2010, 10:32 AM)stephenwilks Wrote:  :-) Well, I suppose 3-in-1 Oil might vaguely smell like citronella, but I'm not entirely convinced says he reaching for the lemongrass spray to repel mossies while using the computer. Not to mention the lemongrass I've just had in some local spicy soup. It also grows in my garden, and is one of my favorite natural aromas. Does 3-in-1 Oil also repel the little blighters? Might well be worth knowing if MTBing in malarial areas. ;-)

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Citronella_oil
"The market for natural citronella oil has been eroded by chemicals synthesised from turpentine derived from conifers. However, natural citronella oil and its derivatives are preferred by the perfume industry."

Perhaps it's a turps or turps substitute smell?

Not quite sure it just smelled like my mums citronella candles Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: ishvii

07-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Last Post: CMarley96

06-01-2011, 08:42 AM