Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Campy Downtube Shifter Not Keeping Front Derailleur on Big Ring
Hi all,

Totally new to the forum, but have wrenched for a little while about 4 years back. Freaking b/c on ride this morning Campy downtube shifter for front derailleur seems to be broken (?) or not working right.

Here is what happens:

Pull downtube shifter up to put in big ring and chain goes up with no problems and can stay in the big ring, but there is play in the shifter causing the front derailleur to rub the chain. I can still pull on the shifter and the derailleur moves to the place it should be - the "sweet spot." I have not touched the limit screws because I don't believe that is any problem. Everything has been working beautifully until now.

It seems that something is up with the shifter, but I am not familiar with downtube shifters. The front derailleur gets pulled towards the small ring because the downtube shifter does not stay in the all-the-way up position.

I have Zinn's book from 2000, but it only shows how to overhaul the downtube shifter and doesn't mention any trouble shooting.

Thank you for any input; I know I am new, but hopefully can contribute more to the repair forums on a regular basis from now on.

S
There should be a central screw that can be tightened to increase the friction of the shifter.
Otherwise it's possible that the friction washers are worn and need replacing.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(10-24-2010, 11:32 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  There should be a central screw that can be tightened to increase the friction of the shifter.
Otherwise it's possible that the friction washers are worn and need replacing.

Thanks so much! I will look into it. I was thinking it was the washer. Gonna take a look at it in a little bit. Do you know where to get the washers? I mean, would I have to go to a shop or can I go to a "home improvement" store?

Thanks again.

S
Look at page 15 and there is an exploded diagram of the downtube shifters.
Yours should be something similar.
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares94_B.pdf

Tightening the left hand side screw will increase the friction to hold the dérailleur in place.
If you can't then I think you will have to go to a good bike shop for any spares.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(10-24-2010, 02:27 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Look at page 15 and there is an exploded diagram of the downtube shifters.
Yours should be something similar.
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares94_B.pdf

Tightening the left hand side screw will increase the friction to hold the dérailleur in place.
If you can't then I think you will have to go to a good bike shop for any spares.

Thanks cyclerUK... took it apart and all is good now. Thanks for your time and input; much appreciated.

S
You haven't lubed this by any chance? even spray lube will affect the friction washer.

Possibly Related Threads...