Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

TS-8 vs TS-2.2
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a truing stand since paying $20 each time I want my tire trued seems a bit ridiculous. I have two choices, I can either buy the TS-8 right now or I can save up a little bit and get the higher quality
TS-2.2 (yes I am one of those Park tool fanatics). Basically my question is, for a beginner bike mechanic is the TS-2.2 worth the extra money or should I save it and spend it on other bike tools instead?

By the way, this website is amazing. I have learned so much from just reading the articles and the forum.
How often do you have to true your wheels?

It's something I only do very occasionally so I just do them in the bike frame using the brake blocks as a guide.

I did buy this book, available only as a download, which includes plans and instructions for building a very good truing stand: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
I have the ts-8. I love it. However, I am a tool guys as well and I would have preferred the TS-2.2 It has the disc truing attachment that I like as well.
I do use the brake pads for truing my wheels at the moment, but it doesn't do as good of a job as I would like. Also, my mountain bike has disc brakes, so that method does not work.

After some considering I've decided to save up for the TS-2.2. While it may be a bit overkill for my skill level right now I feel like if I go with the TS-8 I won't have the chance to buy the upgrades, such as disc truing.
I built my truing stand this weekend.

It consists of two 14" long pieces of ¾" aluminum angle, two three in L brackets, a thin piece of two inch wide steel, all screwed down to my work bench. I use the thin piece of steel to provide attraction for the magnetic base of my dial indicator (Harbor Freight).

The dial indicator is used for other things too, so doesn't really count in the cost - thus I have less than $20- in my stand.
Nigel