Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano Altus c 10 replacement.
Hello, I have a Shimano Altus C10 rear derailleur that is broken, I can not find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know if any other derailleur will work? And what is the chain size? Thanks in advance for your help.
my main mtb (which is currently in pieces as im repainting it) came to me missing its altus 8-speed derailler. think it was a ct95? i replaced it with an alivio that was on sale. it works great,though i cant compare it to the altus as mine was missing. it will go right on without any modification, but i added a nut behind the hanger on mine because i had a thread issue, but normally it bolts right on. hardest part is remembering how the chain snakes through the whole thing.Smile im still running the same chain as before if that helps you.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Thanks for the info. Time to check ebay for an Alivio.
the ct-95 was replaced by the rd-m310. my alivio is a rd-m410.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
You need to replace with a compatible derailleur with your cog set up. They will give you specs on your max and min possible cogs used. Retailers will specify if its 10, 9, 8 speed derailleur. Another thing to keep in mind if its a rapid rise or normal. Which way its spring loaded? To the large ring(low normal) or top normal( to the small ring). If you got three rings in the front it should be a long cage. single or double ring in the front will use a short cage. 9 speed and 10 speed will use a 3/32" size chain. Single speed(cruiser, fixie) will use a 1/8" size chain. Good Luck
GO RIDE...
I presume your Altus is either 7 or 8 speed?
The Alivio will do fine. You could also use STX or LX ones as well.
All Shimano rear dérailleurs have the same "cable pull" so, more or less, can be swapped. The main thing to look out for is matching the cog count. An 8 speed derailleur will work with 7 speed and a 9 with an 8.
The problems start with 10 speed as the cage is narrow and could cause problems with an 8 speed chain.
Another point is that "road" derailleurs (such as 105s) are not designed to work with large diameter cassettes so stick with the MTB range for anything with over 27T largest sprocket.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I don't know if this effects the one you have but I thought I would post this for your own safety... http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml97/97149.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(10-27-2010, 09:11 PM)dualsport Wrote:  Hello, I have a Shimano Altus C10 rear derailleur that is broken, I can not find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know if any other derailleur will work? And what is the chain size? Thanks in advance for your help.

i have a shimano altus c 10 i am listing on ebay for 12.99 and free shipping was yours the long cage style? this has a long cage.

Possibly Related Threads...