Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Vintage schwinn seat value?
i took this off of a trek i found for free it seems to be at least form the 60s or so id love to know more about it and its value if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Wow! :O That's one interesting seat.
(12-14-2010, 04:39 PM)nameused Wrote:  Wow! :O That's one interesting seat.

right? i cant seem to figure out what it is anywhere
I've seen them before over the years, but I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about it. Obviously, it needs the double rail clamp. I doubt there is much resale value in it.
Marke is correct about the value. I may have 7 or 12 in my 'Used Saddles' box that command from $5 to $15 depending on condition. But, as they are most likely left unpriced, sometimes I get lucky.
One day a guy came in with a saddle that his puppy had chewed on and asked if I anything comparable. I had one just like it! He offered $40 and I said $25. Sold!

The real, main hint to the value of any Schwinn branded product is with 'approved' below the moniker. If 'Chicago' is under Schwinn, you probably have a Winner.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Ok thanks guys i just figured i was gonna take it off anyway, and theres usually a market for scwhinn stuff so if i could get more money to flip into my bike then have it sit there why not? and as far as the double rail clamp im not sure what you mean its in perfect working order just ugly
Not an "ugly" seat to me. I have seen many new bikes in stores with similar seats. Raleigh bikes seem to have them. Nice vintage look.

The double rail is what the clamps on the seatpost attach to.
(12-16-2010, 12:51 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Not an "ugly" seat to me. I have seen many new bikes in stores with similar seats. Raleigh bikes seem to have them. Nice vintage look.

The double rail is what the clamps on the seatpost attach to.

Some one said it would need the clamp, it clearly has it in the picture so that confused me. But its a real nice comfy seat it just looks huge on my bike after the paint job
(12-16-2010, 04:25 PM)titaniumriders Wrote:  Some one said it would need the clamp, it clearly has it in the picture so that confused me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It already has the required clamp. I was just saying that this is the only kind of clamp that works with this saddle. So if someone had a saddle like this but didn't also have that particular clamp, they just couldn't use the saddle.
(12-16-2010, 12:51 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Not an "ugly" seat to me. I have seen many new bikes in stores with similar seats. Raleigh bikes seem to have them. Nice vintage look. . . .

Yeah Raleigh used Brooks leather saddles mostly. There is good value there especially if it is leather. Even an old 1978 Raleigh Record Ace with a vinyl Brooks saddle is comfortable in my opinion. I guess it's that "decades" of saddle-making experience. Smile

http://www.brooksengland.com/

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
thanks a lot guys, im glad i joined this forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: froze