Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Why no Custom Wheels for Bicycles?
Why no Custom Wheels for Bicycles?
Excuse the nube, non-engineer question,, I’ve been riding to work for a couple of years now, and I’ve been wondering why there are no “Custom Rims or Wheels” for Bicycles. like there are for cars, trucks and custom motorcycles... Spokes and Carbon Is all I see. Cars, trucks & motorcycles have hundreds of choices. Is it a weight issue, a strength issue? Steel I know is heavy and does not stop well when wet, but what about aluminum or plastics? Is it the culture of aerodynamics and speed that continues to drive the industry?
Throwing this on a couple of different forums tonight.
Thanks for feedback.
i would say its a cost issue.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
There are dozens of different wheel designs, 3, 4 and 5 spoked carbon fiber wheels, disc wheels, flat spokes, different spoke lacing patterns, different coloured hubs etc. The thing is, most of the fancy stuff is very expensive, so for everyday bicycles the classic 3 cross spoked wheel is probably the most durable and cost effective.

How about these:
[Image: 26_gold_wheels.jpg]

Personally, I think they look totally naff, and say "look at me I'm a chav", just like custom wheels on cars.

For you guys across the pond, some info on chavs: http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&source=hp&q=Chav&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=37b285fba9fed13b
There are, like xerxes said, many different custom type bike wheels out there here is an example of plastic bicycles and wheels history... http://www.firstflightbikes.com/ShopNew/Bike_Histories/Plastic_Bike.htm
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
He-he, I always have to laugh at my neighbor when he changes the wheels on his Cadillac back to normal size for winter driving here in Kansas City. The pot holes in the street tend to have detrimental effects on wheels where the tire is only an inch or two thick. I asked him once, don't pot holes bother you a bit?

But I must admit Xerxes, those wheels do look good. Too bad they don't have the hub caps for bicycles that continue to spin even when the vehicle is stopped. Smile

The dogs that chase cars get fooled easily, then run into the back of your car. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
haha! never thought of that, steve, but you made me laugh! i believe its possible to make spinners for a bicycle, but the weight would become a factor. not my style anyway, however a set of cragar s/s for a bike would be sweet.Smile
Well since you guys asked here ya go! ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfO5LJGDQ14
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
There ya go Bill, a cure for the dogs that chase bicycles. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
The tinkling noise those spinners make would drive me nuts. I think I'll stick to standard wheels. Smile
i dont really think its feasable to build a set of spinners, but that doesnt mean youre stuck with the same mundane spokes everyone else has. there are lots of different spoke patterns that can be laced up. just be sure the one you try can handle the stress.
I like Spokey Dokes.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Yes would answer the dog question very well lol. Personally I really am a fan of the MotoMag II that Mongoose used on some of there BMX models. http://images.craigslist.org/3k43p03lf5V15X55S2a8vb952a6856c211405.jpg .
But I would not pay anymore then $50.00 max with shipping included though either considering that all of them are USED!

Spokey Dokes Big Grin I love the term
(11-07-2010, 10:31 AM)RobAR Wrote:  I like Spokey Dokes.

I still haven't found a nice set of carbon fiber ones for my hardtail. Smile

Some funky spoke lacing patterns:

[Image: Twisted-Spoke-Bicycle-Wheel-Lacing-flowers.jpg]

[Image: 3Leading18.jpg]

[Image: 220px-Laufrad-campa-vento.jpg]

[Image: 2035017512_778871d0b7.jpg]

[Image: crazy1.jpg]
Oh WOW, xerxes. Did you tie those up? If so - the last pic tells me that you jam to old Pink Floyd as you build.

Spokey Dokes aren't offered in carbon, silly. No way would anyone pay... Oh, Wait! What would you pay PER carbon Spokey Doke in painted colors like Chartruese, Hot Pink, Kawasaki Green, Rocket Red and Brilliant Banana? I met Hans Rey in 2001. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(11-08-2010, 09:00 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Oh WOW, xerxes. Did you tie those up?

Sadly, no. They're just some images I found on the web.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Last Post: CC Riderz

11-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Last Post: froze

04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Last Post: nameused