Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

9 Speed Front Derailleur
Shimano Deore LX FD-T661 Front Derailleur, 9 Speed this is the bottom swing one and the LX FD-T660 Front Derailleur, 9 Speed this is the top swing one.They both do the same job but if you are building a new touring bicycle with the Nashbar touring frame witch one would you use?I am using a 26-36-46t chainring and a 11-32t cassette and will be using friction shift only.Any input on this would be nice thanks.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
It depends on which way the cable is routed on the frame. If the front gear cable is routed along the top tube and down the seat tube, you want a top swing, if the cable is routed beneath the down tube and under the bottom bracket, you need to use a bottom swing or conventional.
I am not talking about bottom pull or top pull both of these 9 Speed Front Derailleur will do both top and bottom pull.I am talking about swing top swing or bottom swing.On my Surly the cable comes from the bottom and it is a top pull.I need to know about the swing of the derailleur.But thanks for trying to help out guess I will have to get both of them then find out for my self and report back what I find out and that will be in 2011 for sure.And may have to wait until I get back from my trip to Bangor Maine.
Hi Surly. You are correct on the 'pull' as most of the Shimano MTB offerings, these days, are Dual Pull. I think xer just read the question too fast. I've done that, too.
Regarding 'swing'; Top Swing was developed in the '90s to primarily address issues related to the growing full-suspension market with funky frames. It did, however, have two distinct advantages that the engineers never planned but probably celebrated with saki!
1) As the band clamps the frame approx 1.5 inches (38mm) lower than traditional-pull drlrs, we no longer were required to buy a .0321 gram heavier bottle cage on 'stands' to clear the band on smaller frame sizes. I remember weighing bottle-cages. Those were the days!
2) The new Top-swing drlrs also were found to have better mechanical ratio which resulted in a lighter feel at the shifter.

With that said... IMO you will prefer the top-swing for use with good quality friction shifters if you like a "light", "sensitive" or "delicate" feel. Particularly good with barend shifters on a drop bar.
And this is often overlooked but, as with anything that improves a mechanical advantage, regular lubrication of pivot points is required as all of the relieved stesses went there. Keep a Top-swing clean and lubed and it will be a good friend!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Thanks for your input RobAR.I hope the one I got will work ok I got the bottom swing they had it at a good price.If not I can always re order a new one again.They don't cost that much anyway.I like friction shift the best for some reason.
I like friction shift the best for some reason.

You lowly Creature of Habit. Probably like me and don't have a cel phone either.
Trust me, the bottom-swing will be great on a touring rig. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(11-08-2010, 08:42 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi Surly. You are correct on the 'pull' as most of the Shimano MTB offerings, these days, are Dual Pull. I think xer just read the question too fast. I've done that, too.

Yup, scan reading again. Smile

Quote:I like friction shift the best for some reason.

I do on front derailleurs, I like the ability to trim it so that the chain doesn't rub when your using the outer sprockets on the back. Definately prefer indexing for the rear though.
(11-09-2010, 01:15 AM)xerxes Wrote:  
(11-08-2010, 08:42 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Hi Surly. You are correct on the 'pull' as most of the Shimano MTB offerings, these days, are Dual Pull. I think xer just read the question too fast. I've done that, too.

Yup, scan reading again. Smile

Quote:I like friction shift the best for some reason.

I do on front derailleurs, I like the ability to trim it so that the chain doesn't rub when your using the outer sprockets on the back. Definately prefer indexing for the rear though.

That's ok I scan read a lot too.lol But I like friction shift on front and rear guess
I like the old time way of some thing's.

Possibly Related Threads...