Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Parts I was given for my bike
I would like to know if these are good parts. They were given to me by a friend that bought a new complete Eclipse. he gave me the old wheels with the cassette as well and whether they can be put on any bike. the list is as follows..

1: Shimano STEF50 Shifters with brake levers together 8vgears rear + 3 gears front
2: Shimano 101 Front Derailer
3: Shimano Alivio Rear Derailer
4: Rear wheel with a Shimano HG CSHG50 cassette
5: Dyna Drive FSA Crankset with 3 sprocket

There are 8 sprockets on the rear cassette and 3 on the front crankset

Would this be Road Bike or Mountain Bike gear?

I am thinking of putting these on my short frame city bike, any suggestions?
sounds like the setup on my main mtb, except i think you have better cranks. anything you get for free cant be badSmile.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Yes I have an older, real chrome heavy tube frame. I have the shifters and V-Brakes put on my old frame that I have wider tires and cheap rims on, I am going to put the front derailer on with the crankset, but the rear one is not the same. It is the older type that fits over the axle with a bolt to hold it in the right position, mounting type. The new one is a bolt on. Do you think I can get a threaded bolt hole done to mount that one? I have the previous rims and tires from him which are Alex rims PM18 with Road Tires (700x350)and the rear has the cassette, I was thinking I would have to change the chain if I use the new Crank Set and new Rear Cassette. Would that be a good idea to get an HG chain for it? At 63 years old I dont know much about them. Or would I be smarter looking for a used frame that will fit the derailer in the rear. My old crankset only has 2 sprockets rather than the 3 on the new one.
I agree that sounds like a mountain bike but you can still use it as a "hybrid." Chains are typically something that wouldn't hurt to replace if there is much wear but I think 5 through 8 speed or so all use the same chain width. I could be wrong though. More importantly, you need to keep the same components together and try not to mix them if you can help it. Photos would help.

If you are a savvy bike repairman, you might be successful at mixing things a bit though. I wouldn't try it though. Smile

As far as changing the rear wheel, I think the important thing is make sure the brake pads are lined up properly to the rim. And in cases where the axle is too wide for the frame I have seen where a 2x4 is placed carefully in order to widen the frame. But here again, that should be left to an expert.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Quote:5 through 8 speed or so all use the same chain width. I could be wrong though. More importantly, you need to keep the same components together and try not to mix them if you can help it. Photos would help.

No, you're right. It's only awkward 9 speed and 10 speed chains that are different widths.

There is a fair bit of overlap in drive train components. For instance I can get away with roadie cassettes and mechs on my Downhill bike (in fact it's better because the ratios are closer, and cheap roadie mechs are really hard to break; that and cheap roadie casettes come with plastic spiders so they won't chew up my expensive alloy freehubs!)

OP:
The toys you've been given are actually reasonably nice. Yes, they aren't flash SRAM X9 stuff but they're pretty decent bits of budget MTB kit. I'm personally not a fan of integrated shifters and brake levers, but hey they're free and won't be a problem unless you're riding serious MTB where you'd want hydros anyway. I think I may have even used those cranks at one point on my Downhill bike, and I as I recall the only reason I got rid of them was because they didn't work with my new chain device.*

The shifters/brake combis *should* work no problem, and assuming the rear dropouts on your city bike are Quick Release I can't see why the wheel wouldn't work. The cranks shouldn't be much of a problem, all you have to do is find an appropriate bottom bracket.

*Chain devices and cranks are a right pain, I doubt even Alex Ramon would be able to come up with an idiot-proof tutorial for them as the only way to make them work is trial and error and some chain device-crank combinations just won't work.
Thanks JonB, but I think RedDog2 is yet another AWOL-er.

Steve
(12-08-2010, 09:16 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  Thanks JonB, but I think RedDog2 is yet another AWOL-er.

Steve
Or maybe RD2 is working on his PHD in Geology, Stevo! Did you ever consider that? Finding a fermented Presta valve cap from AD 22 .... nevermind.. the Romans would never have accepted a bicycle innertube based on a Francescan ideal of reduced rotational weight. Now we have 29" MTBs. Humans are silly. Except for me and you.

Rob. Burgler King.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(12-08-2010, 10:24 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Or maybe RD2 is working on his PHD in Geology, Stevo! Did you ever consider that? . . .

Nope, I can't honestly say that EVER crossed my mind. Smile
It does seem odd though that he would go to the trouble of creating an avatar, then bail out. It's been two weeks now.

Steve

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Last Post: DaveM

05-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Bill

07-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Bill