Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Should I Update or Buy a New Bike
I have a 1994 Trek 2100, composite road bike, that I bought new. It's in good condition and I ride it about a thousand miles a year. I do like the bike but I would like to upgrade the shifters to get them up on the brake levers rather than the current location on the down tube. I could use a few other parts and I'm wondering if I might not be better off spending the money on a new ride. I've read that some composite frames have problems with the joints failing over time where the composite material mates with aluminum or steel. Any thoughts on the matter?
This kind of frame technically has a shorter life span than all metal or all carbon frames. But if it hasn't been abused and you check it over carefully, I wouldn't worry too much.

If you can find 7 speed combined shift/brake levers (brifters) at a reasonable price it may be worth it. It looks like Shimano Sora was the last group they made with 7 speed. Prices were in the $100-$150 range, but most places seem to be out of stock. If you can get them, figure another $50 for cables, labor, bar tape...might be a nice upgrade for $200.

But if the bike needs another couple hundred for maintenance, new tires, parts, etc. It might be time to just start fresh.
Thank you! That's about what I thought, but I needed some confirmation. I guess I'll save my nickles and go for a net bike somewhere in the future.
As Dave said, that frame should be inspected thoroughly before sinking any money into it. At 1000 miles / year (16,000 miles), you've certainly got some use out of it!
If you're entertaining the thought of a new bike but want to keep this Trek, and the shifters on the DT bother you, have you considered barend shifters? They're much more convenient, are period-correct, will work with your current components and can be found for low cost. Just a thought.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I hadn't thought of barend shifters, but that's a good idea.
It's been a week, Mr Browne. Have you chosen a course of action or am I just supposed to wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my soot-colored heart? (the Grinch is my fave!)

Either way - let us know how you proceed!
Merry Christmas, everyone! I will be SO glad when all of this over-eating, under-excersizing, over-sleeping, Paid Holiday stuff is over!!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Sorry, I thought it was clear that I will be keeping the bike for the time being. I have it apart in the basement and I'm looking it over for problems. The carbon frame seems to be in good shape without any abrasions or visible damage. I ordered bearing cones over the internet, the RX100 cones are hard to come by, and they came a couple of days ago. The hub runs very smoothly now, whereas it had a kind of rumble in it before the rebuild. I'm going to leave the shifters alone, they work well and I don't do that much shifting on my routes. The south western portion of Ohio is mostly gently, rolling hills. I'm waiting for a hub wrench so that I can remove the rear cassette and see what needs to be done in that area. Maybe if the tax man is good to me, I'll spring for a newer bike after the first of the year. I really like this bike, but I'd also like to have something a little more modern - human nature I guess. Thank you to all who answered my question! I'm not a bike expert by any means, but I would like to stay active with this forum, so maybe I'll be able to inject something worthwhile occasionally.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-05-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Last Post: RobAR